• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

need the ladies advice

mww24

I finally convinced my fiance that ice fishing is even better than open water. the only problem i have is that she is not prepared clothing wise for long winter days. what do you all use for outerwear and boots for the hardwater and what kind of prices does it carry. i saw clam has womens ice armor out for 250 but i would like to go cheaper than that incase she only does it once. thanks for the help

wish i could just get the wheelhouse CPF. unfortunatley i can not. she let me buy a boat in may. if i even asked about a permy she would laugh me to the curb smile. good idea on the left over deer gear. suppose waterfowl gear would work to. what about boots any opinions?

The best advice is to dress in layers with the 1st layer (the layer closest to her skin) should be a wicking layer so it absorbs any moisture away from skin. My 2nd layer is a sweatshirt or fleece and my 3rd layer is my jacket/snowpants. I own Arctic Armor but if you're looking for something cheaper that's fine too. Just make sure it's waterproof/windproof and has an a good insulating layer (Arctic Armor's insulating layer also can save your life-it floats!). Good boots are a must. I own Ice Kings and Rocky Blizzard Stalkers (both really great boots) but she also has to have a pair of wicking socks and then another pair over them but no cotton socks. They absorb moisture and make feet cold. Buy boots that are not too tight so you can get some air movement around her foot. Those little disposable heat packs are really nice to tuck into your coat pockets or boots too (be careful in boots because they can get REALLY hot and then your feet sweat=not good eek ).

My big advice to you is if she's never fished before, don't make this an all day event. Maybe just an hour or two unless it's a really nice, calm, warm-ish day. If she gets freezin' dang cold that 1st time, you're in trouble. I love ice fishing but I hate freezin' my giblets off! Getting/borrowing a portable with small heater would be sweet for her! You could also sit next to her, show her the ropes, chat about your wedding/future/future kid's names grin and have a great day! Good luck and keep us posted how your 1st outing goes in a coupla months!

mww, first of all, big congrats on getting engaged!

We know you don't have a permy grin, but do you have any shelter at all or are you out on the open ice? It makes a difference on what we'd recommend.

No matter your shelter situation, the layer closest to the skin should be something thin and clingy (no, not Victoria's Secret) that wicks moisture away from the skin. This is a big deal, as moisture against skin is a big culprit in winter cold. Typically, this layer is polypropylene or merino wool or silk. After that, a layer of fleece is good, followed by an outer layer.

For the feet, same deal, mostly. Sheer wicking sock followed by wool blend sock, making sure there's plenty of room regarding boot size so the foot can move around. Best outerwear boot I've found in 30 years of searching is Steger Mukluks (especially comfortable and warm for women, who tend to need circulation support), but they cost about what you have budgeted for your fiance's whole outerwear line. Maybe a good present after you're married, if you find she likes the ice! gringrin

I am somewhat of an expert at the ice fishing in the cold stuff, until last year I rarely used a portable and had never fished out of a fish shack. When I first started ice fishing I wore 3 pair of sweat pants and layered the top like others have suggested. I had a cheap jacket which was fairly warm, but some really crappy boots. I bought a pair of Sorels which I still am wearing 10 years later. The ones I bought were the pull on type rather than the lace up kind, I have since bought a pair of lace up boots on sale that are pretty warm. One of the gals here bought a Strikemaster jacket and bibs last year for a $100 less than the Ice Armor at the ice fishing show in St. Paul. I have a Strikemaster jacket that I bought at the end of the year and I love it!!! Toasty warm. The most important thing to keep warm are the feet, so that is where you should spend the bucks. I love my Sorels, but the style I bought do get wet sometimes. For me the lace up boots were hard to get used to at first, they seemed stiff and rubbed my legs the wrong way. This is the style boot I have, mine are a solid navy blue. Oh yeah forgot to mention I really do hate the cold, but I love ice fishing. And at 62 years old you are still going to see me sitting out there on a bucket out on the ice. I do have an Otter shack and a heater, but most of the time I am too lazy to set them up. Plus I can be more mobile.

erez.jpg

thanks all. i have a porty with a heater and ruber car mats. i know the layering drill.im thinking of the lady blizzard stalkers. i have the mens and like them. im hoping to pick up some clearance hunting stuff for her. i bought the kid some tech h20 waterfowl bibs that kept him warm. im going to look into those. thanks again everyone. hopefully ill put her on some fish. that will keep anyone warm.

If your lady if of a smaller statue you should be able to find some great deals on warm winter clothing. (the ice show would be a perfect place as lambjm states, or hunting clothes after the season ends is another) When this stuff goes on deep discounts the first sizes to go are always the larger ones. Look at a sale rack sometime and you will notice 90% of what is left is the smaller sizes. This is why I never seem to get these deals as I need XL min. frown

I also am a huge fan of Steger Mukluks. Read the information on their webpage as sizing is very important. I have room to add extra socks but have never needed them. Also, I wore them to my college classes and my feet never got warm. They are amazing!