• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

end of the debate? rage vs fixed

vister

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed the debate continues to RAGE. WFH home today and so for the heck of it, I went outside on a break with 3 arrows tipped with a FP, muzzy and rage and was shootin them all the same into my Glendel Buck, or at least within an inch or two of one another. I hadn't tried that yet and so think I will bring some of each (muzzy and rage) into the field in the months to come. Who says you have to choose!?

Good idea deerminator, I better carry some muzzys as a backup. I have shot 7 or 8 deer with the Rage and haven't had any problems, but according to the experts they don't work 50% of the time so I am due for a streak of real bad luck.

I don't have any issue with the penetration of the rage broadhead. But if you want to prove a point you need to set up an experiment where the medium the broadheads pass through is similar and consistent for all the arrows. The piece of oak with its variable grain and the subsequent blade alignment will not fulfill the requirements for a true and repeatable experiment. And why is the rage broadhead so angry? Doesn't it like deer?

Personally, I used the 2 blade rages last year and shot 3 deer. Found all, but only have 1 broadhead left to show for it. First one did not pass through and the blades were nowhere to be found when I recovered the arrow. Second one did not pass through, but the head was intact after. Third one did not pass through AND in addition to the blades missing ( again ) the broadhead was folded in half!! This was the last straw. I don't care what visitor's results were, I know what mine were. I switched back to muzzys.

anyone can kill a deer with any head. Some heads are liked more than others. i know guys that have used wallmart specials 10 bucks for 3 heads, and been sucessful with them. its really not what u hit em with, its where u hit em. the head will do its job if the shooter does theirs.

I personally opt for a fixed blade head (i shoot slick trick mags), that way i have no reason to blame the head for not doing its job.

anyone can kill a deer with any head. Some heads are liked more than others. i know guys that have used wallmart specials 10 bucks for 3 heads, and been sucessful with them. its really not what u hit em with, its where u hit em. the head will do its job if the shooter does theirs.

Well said Pooh, all of today equipment will work if you use it the correct way. Broadheads fixed or mechanical seem to get all the glory or are to blame when something goes wrong, really its the shooter 999/1000.

Its kind of funny to read about all the stories of this person or that person missed a couple of deer with the Rage and blame the head. On the other hand a lot of guys here who have some experience with bow and who's opinions I trust have never had a problem with the Rage, this leads me to beleive we are dealing with "operator error" and people should be looking in the mirror instead of at their equipment.

In my mind it's never been about the toughness of a mechanical. It should be a given that it is tough. It's about reliability. When talking reliability we don't even have to stick to mechanical vs fixed either. I've given up some fixed heads because of breakage. So there are tough fixed, tough mechanical, and weak of each as well. But it is still in my mind all about reliability.

Just for kicks, try shooing your mechanical with 1 blade deployed. With both blades deployed. How does it shoot. Still 100% spot on??? If not I can't think of any reason why one would put it in a quiver. Stuff happens in the woods and there is no way I am going to rely on anything that has an o ring to hold the blades unless it flys perfect without it. I know my fixed heads fly perfect, and leave a gaping entrance and exit wound. Maybe not quite as much as a Rage, but there is no question I have lots of carnage and easy tracking to date.

with that said, i cant believe there aint more rage shooters. ya know, the people asking why their fixed heads are hitting a foot high, left, or whatever, when a rage flies 100% like a field point.

i'll bet if i wedged my rage into a marshmallow to prevent pre-deployment, it would still fly spot on! grin

with that said, i cant believe there aint more rage shooters. ya know, the people asking why their fixed heads are hitting a foot high, left, or whatever, when a rage flies 100% like a field point.

i'll bet if i wedged my rage into a marshmallow to prevent pre-deployment, it would still fly spot on! grin

That would look cool with a flaming marshmallow.. laugh

I don't like bashing rage, or any product for that matter, but a buddy of mine had a shot at a nice buck and the o ring broke one blade deployed causing his arrow to plane and do circles and miss the deer. Now I know this isn't common, but its just one more possibility of something going wrong.

I shoot a mathews featherlight ( not todays blazing speed )at 70#. All three deer were hit right behind the shoulder above the elbow. all three were also broadside. I still have muzzys that have taken too many deer to count. I should have stuck with them.

To recap, 3 deer shot and only one Rage left to show for it. The other two were found broke after the shot.

I still think the rages should be built better.

I bought into the Rage marketing and after last night I am a believer! Shot a doe at 20 yds broadside, hit ribs on both sides and had complete pass through, she went 15 yds and dropped stone dead, lots of blood immediatly. Also had a lumenok on cool to see where I hit here and see it in the ground when she left!

Broadhead is in perfect condition after going through both ribs on both sides. Still going to replace the blades.

I like em