• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

"The Strike" Fishing Game

DTro

I just happened to stumble upon this game at BassPro!

Whoa, I think this is exactly what I've been waiting for.

There has been only one fishing game that I've liked in the past, and that is "Pro Fishing Challenge", but this one looks really good.

I haven't been able to find out if you can compete against one another online, and that will be a big factor, but I think I'm going to give this one a try.

The wireless controller for the 360 looks good!

I stumbled past it just like Dtro and think it looks like a lot of fun. So I stopped in at the local video game shop and asked about it. They had just recieved the game alone and expect to have their first shipment of controllers today. I don't think I can resist picking it up.

Now I just need an xbox360...

Xbox version can be used right or left-handed, whereas the wii is righty only, as far as I can tell. Too bad- already got a wii and am looking for a fishing game, but am a sinister lefty..

OK I couldn't resist. I had to go pick it up tonight.

First impression is good. The rod is so/so. First I thought it was going to be wireless which it isn't, second there is quite a bit of resistance in the reeling part of it. It feels just like winding one of those hand crank radios or flashlights.

I do however like that the rod has positive feedback, so you can actually cast and set the hook, and work jerkbaits and topwaters. You can also backreel which is really cool.

I almost fell out of my chair when this happened.

I kid you not, this was the first fish that I caught.

16.3 lb kitty

IMG00110.jpg

Here's a professional review:

If you've ever played a fishing game, you may have noticed that they rarely have the level of polish as other sports games. Even inane sports like volleyball, surfing, and bike riding have a handful of decent games, so why do games like Sega Bass Fishing and Rapala Tournament Fishing feel so clumsily slapped together?

Sometimes I get the suspicion that the reason not as much sweat and blood is poured into fishing titles is because the bulk of people buying them aren't exactly avid gamers and developers take advantage of that, figuring they won't know the different between even a passable fishing game and a rancid bucket of fish entrails.

After years of wretched angling video games, The Strike seeks to shatter the trend of bad fishing games, and from what I've played of the Xbox 360 version of the game, it looks like it's achieving that very thing. For a game to give me tingles after playing it for less than an hour, they're definitely doing something right.

The Strike - Hands-on Preview

The Madden NFL of the Fishing Genre

A lot people don't know this about me, but I'm actually a hardcore fisherman and try to sneak in a visit to the lake by my house at least once a week. A few weeks ago, my friend Buddy and I were fishing for trout, talking about what would make the perfect fishing game.

[PoorWordUsage] fish are? As an added bonus, you're not just stuck with one boat as the game boasts a number of bigger and better boats you can win by entering fishing tournaments.

Even a novice fisherman will tell you that one of the most important things to getting fish to bite is knowing where they like to hang out. I could tell that The Strike's dev team has really gone the extra mile in bringing the lake to the player, making them feel like they're in control of where they fish and what kind of luck they'll have reeling in some river monsters.

In addition to steering boats on The Strike's ten lakes, which are all modeled after real world fishing locations, there are also different hidden spots scattered throughout levels for you to discover. And if you're in the mood to just boat around without fishing for a while you can also partake in boat racing mini-games.

Lures, Reels, Rods, You Name It

Another big focus for the game is on gear. The Strike is sponsored by Bass Pro Shops, the Costco or Super Walmart of fishing stores, and features all licensed gear from the behemothic outdoorsmen superstore. Catching fish, competing in tourneys, and completing other objectives in the game earns you money, which you can then use on a massive supply of equipment.

There's over a hundred and ten different fishing lures, which all react realistically, attracting only the specific varieties of fish it was designed to seduce. As long as you're not playing the game on Arcade Mode, there's a tremendous amount of strategy to hooking fish.

A slew of different fishing rods and reels are also available to purchase. They've even gone so far as having the virtual Bass Pro Shops carry various strengths of line so you can pull some truly huge beasts out of the water without snapping your line. Speaking of big fish, each of The Strike's ten maps have one Legendary Fish inhabiting them, and you'll have to really hone your fishing prowess to capture them.

The way you actually wrestle fish out of the lake, while similar in some ways to past fishing games, is immensely satisfying. They've added a couple of things that make the fishing experience far deeper than any game before it, such as including a fish stamina meter and also having the option to turn off the camera that shows you everything that's going on underwater (in other words, cheating). This is something that no fishing game before it has had, and really adds another dimension of skill for players interested in having a more true to life fishing experience.

The Strike's trophy room is another thing that impressed me during my hands-on demonstration with the game. Everything you catch in the game goes into your trophy room, which doubles as a virtual aquarium.

If you're not the kind of angler who can stomach plunging a knife into fish bellies to remove their ropy innards so you can cook and eat them, you're in luck too because all of the fish you catch are alive and well after you reel them in. Whatever you catch out of the eleven species of fish in the game swim about in the oversized tanks located in your Trophy Room. Stats like the weight and length of your catches are also logged.

The Strike - Hands-on Preview

A Pole that Feels Good in Your Hands

The controller itself for the Xbox 360 version of The Strike feels sturdy in your hands. Not too heavy and not too flimsy, the fishing rod peripheral comes packaged with the game, which will run you $69.99 total. Not bad considering new game and controller bundles like Rock Band can cost you as much as $200.

The controller also features built-in rumble more powerful than the one in the regular Xbox 360 controller. You can literally feel the different sizes of fish you battle with in the resistance coming from the motors in the controller.

Even if you've never been fishing before and are just curious to see what it's like, The Strike is worth a look. It's a breath of fresh air for fishing enthusiasts and is sure to lure some new people into the sport. The game comes out this September on Xbox 360, Wii, and PC.

It is a LOT of fun. Very realistic.

No online play which disappointed me a lot. But I figure I will at least be supporting the cause for a future online game. I sent an email to the developer and publisher with my thoughts.

The lighting and fish movements are incredible. I also like that with the fishing rod controller you can actually “jig” the lure to trigger strikes. Heck you can even get a snag and wiggle the lure out.

This game has a good replay value, not great or excellent as it would be with online play, but will be a good game to pass the winter.

Had the game had online play such as “Pro Fishing Challenge” had, it would’ve been the greatest fishing game ever and as it stands, it ranks right up there.

i got the game for the 360 all in all one of the best fishing games i have ever played, except for black bass on the original nes i loved that game. i have already beaten all the tourneys and challenges now i am trying to find all the legendary fish. so far i got the large mouth and the catfish. if any one knows where i might find the other ones it would be appreciated. i know which lakes they are on just not the spots.

This might help:

Spoiler Alert!

Click to reveal..

I caught the spotted bass (Tucky Blue) with a spinner bait (single colorado blue shad). He was located on the eastern most side of Table Rock Lake that looks like a boot almost.

Hubs the black crappie to the list. When you spawn in quick fish (Guntersville) just go straight ahead into the finger like cove that has 4 buoys near the end. The second to last buoy is on a small penninsula. I caught Hubs there using a tube bait after a few casts.

Captain in Lake Pickwick. This is difficult to describe so bear with me. From the dock in quick fish you want to go north west. Along the northern edge there are many coves with buoys (6 to be exact). The first cove on the left has 3 buoys. The cove you want is the third one from the left that has two buoys. The first buoy in that cove is off to the right if you were to steer in it; that is the one you want, not the one in the back. There are lots of smallmouth bass in the cove so it took awhile for the captain to be the one to bite. I used a soft plastic skirty double tail grub - smoke pepper. He is a beautiful fish and has a golden hue to him.

the striped bass on Lake Ouachita is located in the furthest you can go to the northwest (right up against the stream). I just spent an hour trying to catch him only to have him ignore lure after lure. I finally caught him with a Swim Bait-Bleeding Minnow.

I found the largemouth bass on Lake Toho. Go as far south as you can go. If you bring up the GPS on the right hand side you will see a little indent into the land. It is the secret location spot as far south as you can go. I dont know about any bouyes being there, Im playing on pro. There is a little dock in there. He's in there...took a while to hook him and his fins are jet black with a silver body. almost looks like a small fat striper but darker as apposed to the normal green color,,,used tube bait magnum flipping Pearl/Silver flake...

Can you list where you found the rest of them please? I haven't had any luck finding any of the legendary fish but now that I found your guide I'm going to follow your guide to see if I can find any of them. If you could, please post where you caught the rest of them as well, it would be greatly appreciated!

I just know that once the new COD game comes out, this one will be collecting dust. As good as it is, the replay value will not stand up to a multiplayer FPS for me.

If anyone is interested in a very slightly used game with fishing rod (I stress lightly) let me know. I can probably let it go for a very fair price.

[email protected]