• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2002 Crestliner Superhawk 1700 w/ 90 Merc 4 stroke

Copper25

A somewhat typical rule of thumb is to keep the engine hp no less than 75% of the max hp.

The max hp for this boat is 150, with 75% being 112.5

So, with a 90 hp, you'll be below the rule of thumb, and performance will be ok, but it'll be a little doggy.

marine_man

I don't plan on skiing, just a little tubing.

Is this a decent boat?

How about the motor? Prertty reliable? I've heard the 115 Yamaha is bullet proof.

I found out there is less than 40 hours on the motor. There is also a 6 hp Yamaha 4stroke with even less hours. Only deal is that the kicker is a tiller.

This is my first boat. Just want to be sure I'm not buying a boat or motor that has known issues.

Thanks for your replies!

I have almost the same boat with the Yamaha F115 motor.

My opinions:

90 is probalby going to be under powered, there are plenty of times I wish I had a 150 on mine. If you have more than 3 people in there you are probably going to have issues gettting up on plane. If you've ever owned a boat with an under sized motor (like I have) you won't make the mistake again.

Motor - The Yamaha is a better motor, I've owned Mercurys all my life and won't go back to them. If that is a 2 stroke carb it's going to use a lot of gas and be hard to start. Again just my opinion (not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy debate).

Boat - The hull is very wide and stable, Crestliner is one of the best brands, my only complaint is the rod storage.

Price - What's the guy asking? I spent half the summer looking for mine and could probably give you a very good idea what it's worth.

I think that would be OK in the summer but given the fact it's almost October and with that motor I think that's high.

The kicker certainly sweetens the pot but I'd say more like 9-10k would be a good deal for this time of year, maybe more depending on condition, electronic, 4 stroke, Fuel Injection etc...

Where is that 40 hours coming from? That seems really low for a 7 year old boat and I didn't think those motors had an hour meter on them. Unless there is proof of that I wouldn't let it influence your decision.

The Bimini top is very nice to have on family outing.

I'm looking at a pic right now of the motor. It does NOT say Four Stroke on it. Am I safe to assume that it is NOT a 4 stroke then?

Long story, but he wasn't able to use it for 2-3 years.

Boat looks in great condition. I just think the price is for sure high if it is not a 4 stroke!

Anyone else know of good deals! Send them my way! smile

I'm in the market for my third boat. When I went to buy my first boat (1600 Crestliner), I brought my bro-in-law to the dealer to take a look at it. As we left, he told me he had to get something off his chest. He told me that he thought I'd be unhappy with the motor (50 hp) for a few reasons (see below). I then upgraded to a 90hp(2 stroke). I was sooo happy that I did. My neighbor bought the exact same boat with the 50hp on it, and he's ever since regretted it. I was walking by a different neighbors house this weekend and saw he had a new alumacraft in the garage. It was a 1700 trophy. He said he loved the boat, but regretted his motor choice (90hp 4 stroke). I've talked to a lot of folks over time that have said the same thing - Don't underpower a boat. I personally think a 90hp is too small for a 17 foot boat. This really does hurt the resale as well ,i.e. the boat may be sitting a very long time before it sells because most folks out there that have owned a boat before, feel the same way about power. I thing the 75% rule of thumb above is a good rule to go by. My own personal rule: Whatever the max hp for the boat is, that's what I buy. The difference in price that you will pay for a bigger motor will easily be accounted for by: 1) your increase in pleasure with it due to better holeshot and top end. 2) resale - you WILL get this money back.

I will piggy back on kdawg's comment... I would go farther. MAX it out regardless, ESPECIALLY if getting a 4-stroke that isn't a Verado. Just my opinion, however, I know many folks are happy with their non-maxed rigs. We like bringing folks fishing with us, and sometimes that is full boat. We have Alumacraft tp175 with 150efi 2 stroke, almost ordered it with a 125 at the time... that would have been huge mistake, that we did not think at the time. Glad my brother opened his mouth and we switched the order. We could have maxed it with 175, and it prolly would not h ave mattered much, but now we wish we did... cause you just never know wink

Anyway, in the two stroke versus 4 stroke, you will have many saying 4 stroke is the only way to go. Not true. Depends on what you want yo do. Want it quiet and sipping gas, go 4 stroke. Want any type of performance, go 2 stroke. Drive the two styles side by side, any brand, and you can feel the difference.

Good luck in your search, and BTW - merc 2 stroke 90 is not hard to start, just need to learn how to choke them. Then they start perfect, had one for 10 years.