• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

175 hp Evinrude FICHT motor

dirtking

I am looking to buy a boat with this motor - the boat is a 2000 so I do not know the exact year of the motor but they were bought brand new together in 2000. I have heard bad things about the older FICHT's - would anybody with experience with this motor please chime in?

3918929265_5d27fecd11_m.jpg

I would pass... FICHT is one of the reasons OMC kind of went by the wayside (not entirely, but it didn't help). They had a ton of injector problems that would burn cylinders down pretty regularly.

It would be a risk, at best in my opinion, and I would stay away.

marine_man

I guess I have been real lucky as I have that exact engine and with 453 hrs on the hobbs meter I would have to assume I am well passed anything that OMC did killing it. I know that 97's and 98's were trouble and I believe that the majority of the problems were the 4 cyls not the V-6's (could be wrong though). I fish with several guys who have same vintage motors and all have been happy with them with only routine complaints (fuel pump, shaft seal from fishing line, module replaced under warrenty and I spoke to the lead tech where I get my work done who reported no hard part failures caused by the FICHT at his marina since he took over back in 02 which would be about 75 boats that he services for the lake with FICHTS inluding the park service boats. Just like lumping all the mercury di's together. some were good some were not. On the 2000 175 I would say I personally would not be afraid of it if I were used boat shopping. Hey maybe the bad rep would be a negotiating tool?

I also have this exact motor, never had any trouble with it except for the fuel pump. I actually talked to an engineer at bombardier and he told me that by 2000 they had everything figured out . He did tell me the fuel pump was going to go and to make sure I got it replaced with the upgraded pump when it did and that I should not have any other problems. It has been an excellent motor.

Toys020-1.jpg

I don't think you can just slap a simple answer of "don't buy it" on this.

To me it's all about price. Yes the motor has a higher risk of repair costs, and yes the resale is worse, but build that into the price. If you can get the rig for a price where the guy is basically selling the trailer and hull and giving away the motor then you can run it until the motor dies and then buy your choice of replacement motors. In that scenario you come out ahead. Or better yet maybe the motor never does die.

The guy has probably been had a hard time selling it becuase of the motor, now it's almost October and you might be able to get a really good buy on it.

There's my 2 cents, filled with maybes, mights and probabilities, but hey buying anything is. wink

Looks like it has a good SS prop on it, so that makes the motor worth a couple hundred bucks.

As others have said, stay away from it unless you can get the whole thing for the same or less than the value of just the boat and trailer. Check the online auction site for a more reliable motor, you can probably get a nice 150-175 Yamaha 2 stroke for 5-7K depending on year.

I personally only know of one Ficht that hasnt been a total lemon, and that is a 75 hp made at the end of the last year they made Fichts. Every other motor has blown or had constant problems.