• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Scents to Use and why?

JacobMHD

I gave up in scents a while back, sure they might pull in a young buck from time to time but I have even seen the young guys blow past my scent to get to a doe. The mature bucks know the difference between the fake stuff and the real thing. I might still use a little if I was hunting with a decoy but other than that I try to smell like nothing.

I like to use regular doe urine early in the season. I spray it around the area where I am going to hunt just a little each time I go out to make it look like does were in the area. My favorite scent is I use the tarsal glands off the does I shot the year before, freeze them and then use them as a drag on the way into the stand. Last week of October I'll put some golden estrus on the tarsal gland and drag that into the stand. I have had does and bucks work right up to the tarsal gland and smell it on multiple occassions so I know it works in my area. I think one of the biggest things with scents is people overuse them and aren't careful when dispensing them so you get the deer scent/human scent factor and the deer sitting up in a treestand factor which isn't natural and can spook animals. Another tool that when used carefully, can improve your odds at a shot IMO.

Tunrevir~

I bought a scrape dripper last year with a 4 oz bottle of doe pee. One day later before I could put it up, I got my buck. So I have a one year old bottle of deer pee that's been in the garage through cold and hot temps. Whatdaya think? Who wants to buy it? Half price? : )

For me, it's been a carp shoot.

I've had deer spook at scent - even Golden Estrus but have also had a buck pass the doe he was following to put his nose to the wick.

Last year I was using Musker's and thought it was pretty good except for the leaky bottle. Twice I had a twelver come to it but it was too dark to do anything about it.

I buy new wicks and new scent every year and keep them double bagged in ziplocks. I don't directly touch the wicks or the bottle at all.

I would say don't use any if you're in a pressured area. A lot of others might be using them and if they're using them wrong, the deer will learn to avoid certain types.