• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building Double 10's

brushhog80

search online. you can order just about anything.

as far as building baits goes I have no expertise in that area, but I've always been interested in it, if you can get a bait to be fairly balanced and run straight with double 10's all you have to figure out after that is color preference. The fine tuning is really the more complicated part.

Actually once you build a few it's not hard at all. I can start from scratch and have one done in 1/2 hour if I'm so motivated. Do a google search on Moores Lures an Stamina Tackle as they have much better pricing and availability.

Here's one of the problems with the flashabou, you can't get the thicker cut stuff in most colors. The real thin stuff can knot and tangle, especially pink, blue and silver.

Check out the rod-building and lure making section on this forum! There are some great tips and tricks. You might have to dig a bit, but I know there were some great tutorials posted over the winter that focused on bending wire and making bucktails.

yep, very easy after you get one or two done. Just take an old one apart and go from there. I stocked up on colors at the expo, but you are right. there doesnt seem to be all that much of the magnum out there. As far as it saving you money. I think i get one tied for about $15. It does take atleast $200 to get you started though. Tools, wire, beads, etc.

Any questions just email me [pleasebecomeasponsor]@yahoo.com, or go the rod building page.

If you end up deciding not to build your own, I have been very happy with Gerry Carroll's double 10's. Shoot him an email at gerryandroz at sbcglobal dot net. He will send you all the flashabou and blade colors you have and build you custom ones within days for a very reasonable price

Was in the same boat as you are. I polled some of the best muskie guys I know and got their favorite color combinations for bucktails. Of course, they were not even close to your "standard" colors, so I had to order the parts, skirts, wire, beads, hooks and shrink wrap. All said and done it cost me right around 180 bucks to get everything I needed, and when I got done making all the lures it came out to about 8-9 bucks a lure. Not bad for Double 10's, plus they are exactly what I wanted. One good thing.....I ordered my wire in precut 12" lengths, and they already had the loop bent and wrapped on the top, so i just put it together and tied the bottom loop. Make sure you get a round pliers to do your bends with. Makes nice round loops.

yeah as long as the top of your loop is centered with the shaft you should be ok. most of mine come out diamond shaped.

one tool that's pretty sweet to have though is a coil vise. if not, a bent nail in a regular vise will hold your coils pretty well.

i like having the round nose pliers, the other tools i use are. Vice grip for holding the throttle cable ( i didnt want to spend the cash for a fly tying vice)a bobin for holding the thread, a wire cutter, a split wring pliers. Other supplies are the thread, hard as hull cement, and supper glue.

Round nose pliers

vice grip - or a hawk nosed pliers

split ring pliers

wire cutter

bobbin

hard as hull cement

supper glue

thread

lighter -for shrink tubing

i think that is all.