• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BEST SWEET CORN

I'll be busy...hubby and I are celebrating our 21st anniversary on Thursday, and the rest of the week I will be putting up sweet corn with my new Seal A Meal. Gonna freeze corn on the cob to serve on Christmas Eve - Hubby's family tradition.

At the rate that corn sales have been going today, I will have about 3 acres of sweet corn to put up. frown

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran into some problems when I tried to seal-a-meal my corn on the cob! It was just too moist. I tried putting it in the freezer for an hour or so, as directed, but still it wouldn't seal! I'm going to get some more and cut it off the cob with my electric fillet knife, a friend said that works great. Good luck fishinchicks, let us know if you get the deal done. I to think that the blanching time I quoted is excessive. I believe two minutes a cob would be fine, since I normally only boil corn for about 4 minutes to eat!

My sister used a seal a meal type thing to freeze her corn on the cob. She boiled it for 6 minutes, which is according to the Ball book of freezing and canning. Hubby thought his mom put the cobs in the boiling water, then waited for it to boil again before timing. I think that would be too long.

I am going to give it a go today, and see how well it works.

On a side note, I did get a Seal a Meal the other day. We tested it out by putting two slices of bread, side by side, in the bag. That was fun! grin The bread looks like the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches that get pushed to the bottom of the brown lunch bag, and smashed by the apple.

Hello, never tried to freeze on the cob and seal it good luck with that. I will tell you no more than 2 minutes on the blanching. We can do 4 ears at a time. Have 1 or 2 tubs or use your sink and have ice cold water in there. Cool that corn down as fast as you can. so the colder the better. Keep turning the corn while cooling. After they cool you can lay them out to dry a bit. This may help getting a good seal.

Got 5 dozen for freezing from Bauers and oh baby, they are good. Ended up with 22 full pints- 2 full quarts and 4 1/2 pints. Got Milk, I GOT CORN. Got a dozen for eating and HMMMMM good. Only have 2 ears left. Got to like the drive through at Bauers, pretty slick, and if you have boys in their mid teens, there are 4 girls that will attract their attention. Hard workers girls they were. Very nice operation and if you get the chance, I don't think you will be disappointed. THIS IS THERE LAST WEEK OF SELLING IT.

Also tried the stand on 66th again. Compared the 2 last nite and BAUERS was the winner in the taste contest. The 66th looked very good and was very good also, but the flavor from BAUERS was better. 1 more week at those stand. Last day next Sunday.

It is about 2 miles south of Hwy 10 and 169. If you coming from the south turn left on Dayton rd go 3 blocks and turn left on French Lake rd. Go to the T and make a right. It will be on your right 1 block after you turn right. About 7 miles north of the Fleet farm on 169, I am guessing.

I have never tried it with an electric, mainly because I am not the cutter. We use a good size paring knife. I dont want to miss any, and you might with the electric.

PB there is nothing wrong with the 66th st corn, but if you want the best around, make the trip. I wish I can and will be working on getting a driver up in that area this week.

Holy heck, anyone in the St. Cloud area, I've got a line on the best sweet corn I have ever tasted. My folks have been raving about it for a few weeks. Got a chance to try it yesterday, and it is downright fantastic.

Came from the Traut farm across the street from the Upper Deck, just North of Sartell on Pine Cone Road.

Dang, that was good corn!

Just an FYI the Bauer Corn truck is at hwy 169 and Bass Lake rd today. Just south of the Superamerica. Get the best corn I have had this year, while you have a chance. I don't know how many days he will be there, but I was told this is the last week. Maybe thru Sunday I hope.

Shoot. The week my mom is gone, the corn comes to her neighborhood. We'll have to leave some of ours in her fridge when we head up to the state fair tomorrow.

Our last day will be Sunday as well. The sales have dropped off pretty dramatically this week. I am thinking most people around here are "corned out".

When there are three corn stands on farms in a 4 mile radius, plus the four or so in the bigger town nearby, the population can get saturated. Most people have put up their corn for the year, and have eaten fresh corn for about a month now.

It would be different if we lived closer to a more populated area.

Fishinchicks I understand, I am just different. You only have it for a while so I try to take advantage of it as often as I can.

Wolfman-K I haven't since I was up there last weekend. I am hoping they are still up tomorrow morning, as I will be traveling right past it. It sure is good isn't it. I will give them a holler. Thanks for the info. As said earlier he had his truck yesterday off 169 and Bass Lake rd.

For those who have picked some up, could you please give a report on your findings. Always looking for input.

Thanks and enjoy the corn. ( no I have nothing to do with Bauers corn, just think it is the best around).

How do you all like the drive thru at the farm. Feels like your at fast food place, only the food you get is better.