• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 and 2001 RMK's Buy?

Wanderer

I'm looking for dead honest critiques of these Polaris sleds. I just started a deal on them but am not completely committed.

A 2000 550 fan cooled with mechanical reverse and a 136 inch x 1 1/2 in paddle track. 1100 miles.

A 2001, same thing with 1800 miles.

Both sleds are in pristine shape.

Anything I should be concerned about? My major intent is family trail riding and ice fishing.

I won't say the price I'm negotiating but feel free to throw out your estimates of value.

Well, fire away smile

I was posting right before dinner so I didn't really specify my concerns very well.

Either of these are an upgrade to my '95 440 fan cooled Indy Sport Trail. The suspension and tracks have me hooked.

My concerns are:

If I will gain stability considering the narrower ski stance of the RMK's? I've been told even with that, the geometry had improved and they would be noticeably more stable.

It sounds like the engines might be a newer generation of actual Polaris engines. They are reed carbed, which was also a recent change at that time.

I've heard debate about the mechanical reverse vs the engine counter rotation. Which one being better? But I spose that part really doesn't worry me.

And the final thing that makes me think I should mention price is the fact they are air cooled vs liquid. What does that do to the value? Either sled is $1900 to me.

I like the idea of not having to worry as much about overheating but realize they might run a little off its too warm out.

Just wondering if there are any red flags that guys in the know would throw.

Thanks for your response superbee. smile

I have not had any experiance with the 550 but the polaris 488 if it got over 30 it would get extremely hot fast. But at the same time i never did hurt that fan cooled 488 and it had got hot plenty of times. The way the prices have been on sleds i would not pay any more then 1500. I've bought and sold a few sleds in the last three years and if you try to get what the sled is worth you better be ready to wait. If they wont move on the price wait and they will after it's still taking up garage space in a month.

For family trail riding I would not go with an RMK due to the ski stance like you mentioned. I have ridden them on trails before by myself and I can toss a sled around and had no problem. My wife did not like it at all however. I'd take her advice if you are looking for a family type sled.

Dead honest critique?

Maybe not all these motors were troublesome, but my $.02:

I wouldn't even consider the Polaris 550 fan. It has had numerous problems, and not cheap...a history of meltdowns. I've seen a local repair shop take in one of these sleds with a melt down at 100 miles on the motor, a week out of warranty (Polaris wouldn't acknowledge). They rebuilt it, drove it five miles and it blew up again.

Google "polaris 550 fan engine problems" and get a bag of popcorn.

Chuck,

Thanks for the tip. I did that search and read a little. I have to go back in and read some more.

Seems like the problems were in the years 2004 - 2006. The earliest one I've read so far was 2002. It was commented that in that year bracket, Polaris was trying to hop up the 550's a bit but may have over done it. Sounds like a lot of burn downs.

Well, price went down some more. I agreed to buy the 2000 with less miles. I'm also going to throw some of the engine upgrade recommendations at it while its still in good shape.

Chuck, the tip you gave was very helpful. I did a lot of looking but couldn't find anything calling out the earlier 550's. I know what I have to watch out for now.

Thanks!

Now, let's pray for some snow this winter for the sleds! smile

CHUCKN, YOU DA MAN !!!! laughlaugh

Check this out from the NWS TODAY !!

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RIVERTON WY

309 AM MDT SAT AUG 15 2009

...LATE SUMMER SNOWSTORM EXPECTED FOR THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS

TODAY...

.AN UNSEASONABLY EARLY SNOWSTORM IS EXPECTED TO AFFECT THE BIG

HORN MOUNTAINS ABOVE 9000 FEET TODAY AS A STRONG PACIFIC TROUGH

OF LOW PRESSURE TRACKS EAST ACROSS THE AREA...

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO

6 PM MDT THIS EVENING FOR ELEVATIONS ABOVE 9000 FEET...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RIVERTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE BIG HORN MOUNTAINS ABOVE 9000 FEET WHICH

IS IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM THIS MORNING TO 6 PM MDT THIS EVENING.

SNOW

WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON ALONG WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF 3

TO 4 INCHES AT 9000 FEET ALONG WITH UP TO 6 TO 7 INCHES AT 10000 FEET.

ISOLATED EMBEDDED THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED THROUGHOUT THE DAY

WHICH COULD CAUSE LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS OF SNOWFALL.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW

WILL CAUSE PRIMARILY TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR SNOW

COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES WHILE DRIVING OVER GRANITE

AND POWDER RIVER PASSES TODAY...AND USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING.

CAMPERS AND HIKERS SHOULD PREPARE FOR DRAMATICALLY COLDER AND WET

WEATHER TODAY.

&&

$$

LIPSON