• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

polarized sunglasses

smellzalilfishee

I mainly fish rivers, and to me the one item i can not leave behind are my polarized shades. they are to me a huge advantage while on the water. i can spot fish that you would normally not see, i can wade with more confidence and safety and they help me read a river much better. I guess what i want to know is how much are you guys using this effective tool??? I have found the quality of the shades does make a huge difference. Costa Del Mar is my personal choice but there are many good makers. Not to mention the protection for your eyes and from what i understand you can sunburn your eyes. anyway any thoughts???

Well you do not have to get crazy on the price. 40 bucks will get you a solid pair and i really reccomend {sp?} a neck lanyard. I have not lost or ruined a pair since using them. I was out smallie fishing the other day from a boat (throwing topwater frog flies} and i would see a smallie come up from 15 feet of water and just bang my fly. Man was that awesome. My buddy next to me could not see the fish until it was right on top of the fly, so ya they are an advantage.

I wear mine every time I go fishing too. They fog up a lot though. When they're not foggy they really help me spot fish. So important to scan the bottom and truly "prospect" for prey. I sometimes think river/stream fishing is more comparable to hunting than traditional fishing, and polarized shades are an important piece of equipment.
I'll probably break down after this summer and buy an expensive pair for next year--I'm on my second pair of cheapos this year.

I'm so hard on my glasses that it might be a waste of money if I got a good expensive pair. Using them on streams does really help but being able to sight fish for trout in streams,ponds, lakes is very fun. Nothing like the perfect presentaion and watching the fish take your fly!

Tight Lines!

Rob

If your going to buy new, spend a little extra and get glass lenses. "Usually" don't get scratched like the lesser, plastic.

I have had one pair of Polarized shades for an easy 10 years!

Keep the rods bendin'!!

Jim W

WE ALL KNOW POLARIZED GLASSES ARE A MUST, BUT HOW DO YOU KNOW WHICH PAIR AND PRICE WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ONE THAT'S $10.00 VERSES ON THAT'S $100.00?
IS IT THE POLARIZATION OR THE MANUFACTURER?
I RARELY USE THEM I FOUND WAYS TO WORK WITHOUT THEM, BUT HAVE TO ADMIT I WOULD LOVE FOR SOMEONE TO BUY ME A REAL EXPENSIVE PAIR SO I CAN REALLY SEE, BUT AT WHAT PRICE?

------------------
"ONLY THE BIG ONES"

Renneberg is correct on what he said. One major differnce is how they polarize the lens. Cheap pairs usually just put a coating over a plastic lens where as a good pair has a better lens {the key} that actually has the polarity induced into the lens , and as renneberg mentioned the 100 uv protection. Most less expensive pairs do not even protect from the uv, whereas a better pair will give you both. I spend alot of time outside and to protect my eyes from uv rays is really important to me. I can not imagine what it would be like to be without my vision.

Mine are Costa Del Mars.

I would not have afforded them at the time, but,(at that time) I was PT-ing at Gander mountain and received them waaay cheap.

They were $135. I have the "croakies" or whatever they are called, keeping them snug and safe on my head! Only where them fishing. The
Kwik trip specials ar for driving and weed wacking!

Jim W

could not have said it better Jim W. i only wear mine fishing which has added to their life for sure. I to wear CDM and i love them. Check this out everybody if your looking for shades, {awesome deals}. sportsmanguide.com. Enter sunglasses in the search.. Sure looks like a nice day to fish- 75 degrees and overcast...

This is a great topic to see posted, and I agree with those of you that can't fish with out your "fish eyes". You can't beat the efficiency, or the fun of sight fishing.

When shopping for a pair of polarized glasses, I would keep two things in mind ~
The first is to look for a frame that fits well. The less light that comes in from the sides, top, and bottom, the better job they do at reducing glare. A brimmed hat worn with polarized glasses increases your visibility through the water even more. The second bit of advice I'll offer is to get a lens color that fits how (or more specifically when) you plan to use them. A light amber is excellent for low light conditions (evening and morning), and perform sufficiently, even at mid day. If you buy just one pair, I'd go as light in tint as you can be comfortable with. My Costa Del Mar glasses are a amber, but a bit too dark. I sometimes have to take them off when the sun is on the rim (the evening magic hour), and that's when I need them the most.

Good luck ~ Maybe I'll "see" you out there.

Another good place to find sunglasses at a pretty good discount is Sierratradingpost.com I have Nikon and Hobie brands with both gray and brown lenses. The gray are most comfortable for driving/general use but the brown seem to offer better contrast and allow you to see fish better. The Hobie ones have leather pieces to block light from coming in around the sides, like glacier glasses. These have been really nice for helping to spot fish.

TSTEPHENS, I feel the difference between a $10 pair and a $200 pair is the extras that come with the more expensive pair.
Many of the more expensive glasses offer 100% protection from UV rays, 100% polarization, water-repellent coating, lightweight, scratch protection.

The more of these that you want the more money your going to have to pay.

------------------
"Study to be quite"

Goody, i have had the same issue with the light and darkness. what would be nice is if they made a photochromic polarized lense. Does any body know of a maker that does?? If the lens would lighten and darken based on conditions we would be in business..

[This message has been edited by smellzalilfishee (edited 07-22-2003).]

smellzalilfishee,
That's a great idea. I checked with the head of my optometrist's optical department, and she told me that polarization is actually a die, and that a pilloried die can not be produced to transition from light to dark. She did offer an option in both a prescription or non prescription lens ~ Incorporate an anti reflective coating to a transition lens. Cost for the coating from them is $65, and she assured me that the antireflective technology performs as well as the traditional polarized for cutting through surface glare on water (Some glass makers actually advertise the antireflective coating as polarization).
If anyone has this type of lens, I'd be interested to hear how you feel it compares to the standard polarized lens.
Goody

Goody, great investagative work there man!!! I may look into that path. If it would truly work like a polarized lens i may try it. I was out the other night and was taking my glasses on and off, which as you know is not something you want to think about when you have fish on your mind. Anyway thanks for the great info, and if anyone is going to try this idea keep us informed.

smellz