• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rumor has it

Gordie

Dtro I weighed the fish right after I had caught it and it bounced the scale between 48.3-48.7 it was a berkly electronic scale and we tested it wnd it was really close to what it read I mean with in a oz but that could have been wrong also but I'll stick with the weight that was givin to me.

Scott the fish was suposeitly cathc a bit farthetr upsteam than that actully it was from shore and you know the place.

I didnt get to see my buddy today as he went to a differnt job than I did so I need to call his bro and do some diggin for the facts. hey Slowhand ask your neighbor about it he was supposed to have seen this fish.

Originally Posted By: dtro
60 is the new 50 laugh

And whether that 60 pounder just ate a 5 lb carp.

CANT even imagine how much lead you would need to hold down a bait of that size if you could use them

I have had a theory on big girls for awhile now:

Catch a flathead at seven at night, that cat is lean, and ready to fight. Catch a flathead at seven in the morning, the fight is boring, and the pounds are soaring.

The Big, Bad, Leroy Brown Theory:

If you knew you had to fight Big, Bad, Leroy Brown up at the local bar, when is the best time to do this? If you are looking to have a knock down, drag out the front door, low chance in heck, but want to prove a point fight, you approach him at 9:00pm up at the bar. If you want to make sure you have a great chance at winning, do not care how you do it, you go up at 2:00am when he has a belly full of beer after a night of carousing. If you do not care to fight him just stay home then grin.

My feeling is you can catch a large flathead at 7:00pm and if that night is when it decides to stock up on on food, that fish can weigh more in the morning depending on what it ate. I feel when targeting them as they are moving in for the morning has better results as far as added weigh and maybe some girth. What this means for day time running flats? I do not know, but the studies have shown flats move/feed more at night, and start slowing down in the morning. I also feel if a fish has/is feeding that night, it will devour, and digest its food rather quickly. Feeding again later in the early morning before bed time.

So I feel when you target them can have a factor of weigh. I know a 5lb carp is a tootsie roll to a 50lb plus flat. Even that study in the CI issues this year put a 50lb flat capable of devouring a 30" fish. I should check that study again though. It was twords the front of the issue.

Just a theory and no facts to back it up smile.

Quote:
So I feel when you target them can have a factor of weigh. I know a 5lb carp a tootsie roll to a 50lb flat. Even that study in the CI issues this year put a 50lb flat capable to devour a 30" fish.

and yet we can only fish with smaller then 7" bullheads frown

Well, I can reply to this one, because this fish in the Outdoor News was caught in my boat and I was holding the camera.

This flathead was not 60#'s by any means. I am embarrassed that he actually put that in the Outdoor News. Yes it may have been close to 50, but 60 is stretching it.

Measurements on this fish were... 47" length and 29" girth.

Fish was never weighed...so thats my story and stickin to it...

Yeah, I guessed it went 48-50. My personal best is 42#'s and I knew it was bigger than that. THis was his first flathead trip and he was extremely excited, which he had every right to be.

It was a great fish and is out there swimming to be caught again!

This flathead was not 60#'s by any means. I am embarrassed that he actually put that in the Outdoor News. Yes it may have been close to 50, but 60 is stretching it.

Measurements on this fish were... 47" length and 29" girth.

I wouldn't have been embarrassed to put it in the Outdoor News, its a very nice fish and a good photo too! With those dimensions, you are in that 50lb range. I can't welcome your buddy to the 50lb Club as I'm not a member yet. But anytime you mention 60lbs, ears perk up all over the river valley. We're all on the lookout for one, we all want to believe there are quite a few out there swimming, but the truth is there aren't that many. Or if there are... they've gotten wise to the bullhead on a 10/0 trick.