Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maros91

New to Turkey Hunting

10 posts in this topic

This was my first year turkey hunting. I only had a chance to get out one day in my "A" season. I applied to just get a preference point and ended up getting drawn. I knew nothing about turkey hunting so I brought my buddy with who has all the calls, blinds, decoys, etc. We came close a couple of times but didn't connect. All I can say after the one day I am hooked. I need all the tips you guys can offer. I am sure there is thread already started but I couldn't find it. So if someone could post the link that would be great. I will apply for the fall season also but I heard that is a totaly different hunt.

Thanks guys.

Welcome to the growing club of turkey fanatics! Just when you figure you've got it all figured out the turkeys change the rules. wink

It's all trial and error mostly error but study hard and practice with the call and you to will get outsmarted and fustrated cry. Welcome to a new addiction that will get you going nut's every spring.

Yeah you'll get frustrated and outsmarted but the first time you have one come in to your calling and you take him down believe me it will quickly wash away the negatives.

Hey Bill welcome to youre new obsesion!Wait until you call one in thats gobblin all the way in!I was in the same boat 20 years ago to,the best learning expierence i had was going to a hunting seminar by RAY EYE dont know if he still does em but if he comes to youre area make it a point to go , right on info and very entertaining!Also he had a couple videos out ,Eye on the wild turkey 1and11they will teach you for sure!If you can get youre hands on them you wont be disapointed ! My other advice would be dont move, always expect em to come from the opposite way you think there going to come from!

We did a couple calls a couple of different times and got answers back but only on the first call. I suppose we waited about 30-45 minutes and called a couple more times but nothing materalized. That gobble really gets your blood going.

I am really interested in getting into turkey hunting. I would use a bow it just seems more exciting to take a turkey with a bow. What do you guys think?

KTapper check out turkey pictures on page 3 and you will see what I think grin good luck and pick a very small spot.

I hunted with a shotgun for 7 seasons and don't think I could handle anymore adrenaline. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Tips, be quiet and dead still. There is no such thing as under calling and its easy to over call. Know the lay of the land and what areas the turkeys use. You'll learn as you go.

Just when you figure you've got it all figured out the turkeys change the rules. wink

That is/was new sig line!... grin