• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What boats handle better in rough water...

Ice-King

2095dcx Yar craft here

i fish mile lacs and winnie

if i had to fish in a pro v lund i would only be on the water half the time

and i've been in them on winnie bad bad boat in big water

as everybody is saying here HANDS DOWN bad boat

harvey i'm thinkin maybe you were ridin towards the front

in that yar craft is y it was so rough the bow will be rough in any boat even a ranger which has nothing on a yar craft

other than the name and price both are made one at a time and all fiberglass no wood

i think warrior is ok but unless they have changed DO NOT stand behind there boats

The one reason I picked Yar Craft was the storage The 2 up in the bow are huge You could put a small person in em Take alot to fill em up Just no reason to have stuff rolling around your feet which drives me nuts

Another reason for fiberglass vs tin is boat control

the extra weight helps you sit down in the water for precision trollin I had a tiller glass boat for 20 yrs

and prided myself in staying on fish no matter what the blow was doing

This wheel boat is a little different but I'm working on

and think I'll be just fine this yr

I have an Alumacraft Navigator 175. I was on Vermillion last summer with Steve Foss for what was probably the roughest water my boat has seen. We got pounded and I got pretty wet (I had a rain suit so I didn't get soaked) We saw a Ranger 620 on the lake and the guys in that boat looked like they were doing fine. Bigger, heavier boat. Handled the rough water pretty well. Also probably $30K - $40K more than my boat... so I think I will stick with the Alumacraft grin

More than likely I wouldn't go out on a day like that or I would stick to smaller water or more sheltered bays. When I look at how many days I fish and how many are rough it isn't too many.

its like caseymcq said you can fish less or go to smaller lakes fish when the weather allows it and save 20-30k

and everybody has their routine I personally prefer the bigger water more fish to be caught and i have a RV on winnie

i can fish the cutfoot wich is kinda wind protected but as the summer goes on the better bite is in the big lake and if i waited til the winds went down i would fish half the time thats for sure...as far as more $$$$$$ i understand that but i make payments so they dont break me i had my last boat (glass) for 20yrs

and got wayyyyyyyyyyyy more enjoyment out of it than what i paid for it this one will out last me for sure

i guess to me its not like buyin a vehicle that go down big time in price and as a rule wont last you 20yrs

and sometimes no mater what the boat if you run cross ways in the a big wind your going to get wet but that what those 400 dollar rain suits are for lol so its to each there own whatever makes you happy

One thing that comes to mind for me is, a comparison between two aluminum boats.

Last fall, I was chasing around a friend of mine for a weekend of fishing on Lake of the Woods. I was in my 18' Lund Fisherman w/140 Suzuki. He was in his 20' Lund Alaskan w/115 Suzuki.

I was beating the snot out of my boat trying just to keep up with him. He wasn't going all that fast, but apparently his boat could take the 3-4 foot rollers about 5 mph better than my boat.

Longer in this case wins, as the Alaskan hull isn't as aggressive as a Fisherman. I was bobbing between waves, and the Alaskan was staying on top of two.

All this said, I always trust my Fisherman, and never have felt unsafe.