• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

blind question

ccarlson

I've been doing some looking at blinds. Mostly to be used for turkey hunting with my kids and some other hunting applications but it won't get a ton of use.

I like the look of the scheel's brand boondocks blind. It has the features I like and looks to have a better quality build than the cheaper ameristep blinds but still 120 less than a double bull. I know DB's are great but like I said, it will get limited use and they are missing one or two features I like so I'm not interested in one of those at this time.

Does anyone have any good or bad info on the scheel's boondocks blind before I pull the trigger on one?

thanks,

ccarlson

I second Kennelup ,Primo's new versions of the ground max are great.They changed up the camo and a lot of new options on the blinds with slide windows.Look at the eclipse or vision blinds on there HSOforum.Gander and Cabelas has these so you can see first hand.Cheaper then the DB.

I have been looking at the same blind. I liked the matl on it. The guy at scheels said it is waterproof as well. It has the same style windows as the dark horse as well. I have also been reading up on the Primos vision. The Vision was 170 on walmart online....now it is up 30 bucks...darnt.

I am leaning towards the scheels blind tho

Make sure to use camp dry on the seams.This works great and helps in the rain.And if you plan on using during deer hunting put on now and use and the scents are gone by deer season.My DB work great in the rain,they held up last week in NE in 45 gust of wind and snow.Never trade one for any other blind.The new ground max are very good for the price.

Ive got the primos ground max in predator camo, and although I haven't used it for hunting quite yet, I will be for archery turkey hunting. I really like the ease of set up and quality for the price.

Just set up my double bull matrix tonight for tomorrow morning and broke one of the fiber glass poles that holdes out the sides same thing happened to me last year, nothing a little ducktape can't fix till turkey season is over.

Don't know if it'll be different if they've now been bought out by Primos, but DB used to have the best customer service around. I had a rod tip break off in the hub a couple of years ago. I called their customer service number, explained what had happened, and they sent me 2 new replacement rods free of charge. I used the one and have another here at home in case it ever happens again. To me, that's one of the things that makes them worth the extra $$.

Ok Guys. You have me thinking between the two now. I'm going to stop this weekend at scheel's and cabela's and decide between the scheel's boodocks or the primos ground max Vision.

One feature I like and both appear to have, is the opening in the roof. I think they call it a "roof vent" but I was thinking of something else. I have a spot I pass shoot geese on an overgrown fence line. It's an area about 15 feet wide with long grass and scattered trees. That roof vent just might work to pop the shotgun up and through. What do you think? It would at least give me another use of the blind besides turkeys.

ccarlson

The waterfowl zipper is another great function. I don't use it for pass shooting but you certainly could as that's what it was designed for. It's also great for circulating some air into the blind during the mid-day hours or a good stand-up stretch every so often. (I'm 6'3").

I stopped at gander mountain today in Mankato. I looked at the Ameristep tomtaker, the Primos Vision and the Dark Horse. I have been thinking about buying one of these blinds but just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I must have looked like an [PoorWordUsage] going from one blind to another and sitting in a chair and pretending to pull back my bow...lol.

The Vision and the dark horse had my vote for room inside and the window configurations. I actually liked the Vision better on the windows and sight issue. One thing I did not like about the Vision is that you cant close up the screens totally and that they will let skeeters in. I also did not like the part about the inside window flaps were not sewn in on the bottom. I have been rained on enough to know that that is not a good thing. The Dark horse is just really expensive for me...but nice if you have the money.

The tomtaker is a very nice blind. The material is like a silent suede like my rain gear and looks to be made of the same matl as the Scheels blind which I think is modeled after the Dark Horse. The windows are a totally different configuration but are still very useable. I do think that there is not as much room to move around in it.

Just my observations.

well I made a final look over all the blind options, especially the vision and the scheel's boodocks. I'm glad rbs pointed out the part about the bottom of the windows not being sewn and possibly letting rain in on the vision. After looking it over, I thought the same thing.

I looked over the boodock again and decided it had all the features and the quality I wanted at a pretty good price (279).

After that, the hardest decision was which camo pattern. I think they have 4 options of which the AP looked like it would work best for me.

Thanks for all the help and I'll let you know how it works after the next two weekends of chasing turkey with the kids.

ccarlson

Yes, I did buy that blind and was very happy with it this past weekend. I'll use it again this weekend when my oldest daughter has her tag for season D. I would recommend it. Good blind with the features I wanted.

The blind is over at the farm right now but 70" square at the bottom dimmensions seems to ring a bell. I thought the info was on the scheels HSOforum but I might be wrong. It was tall enough to stretch the legs but to straighten out my neck, I had to step outside or open the roof.

Check out the picture of my 11 year old daughter and me with our double from this past weekend on the turkey picture thread.

Her tom literally came within about 5 feet from our boondocks blind.

One tip the guys at scheels gave me which I hadn't ever thought of was to wear all black and a black face mask when hunting from a blind. I didn't have a black coat but we did both wear a black face mask.

good luck,

ccarlson

Good job! I actually went against what I had first said about the blinds. I bought the Tomtaker. I could not pass it up for the price. A e bay store had them brand new for 162 shipped. They also have a $50 rebate on them as well. Bad part about it is that if you want one you have to order today. The rebate program says you have to purchase today to use it. The rebate has to be postmarked by the 15th of May.

After I got my blind home I did a little looking at it to see how I can change some of the little things that I don't neccessarily like....not that they are that big of a deal. I am going to buy some of the magnets like the boondocks use on the windows and install them for quick detach. I will also seal the seams and such to help it shed some more water. Over all I am very happy with this blind. I have been shooting my bow out of it quite a bit and it works well!