• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Air brush jigs

I have been busy here, but I will try and put something together tomorrow. I will be pouring and painting all day so i will see what I can do. I will try to get something posted by the end of the weekend.

Lm90

I had a video made, and my son was on line playing a game and the Comp. locked up I lost a lot of things. i have to start all over with the Video, But hope to have it posted by morning.

If any of you get a pop up about Spywareremover2009 do not I repeat do not click on it. It looks like it comes from Microsoft but it's not. you will be in a world of pain with that one. I used 6 programs to get rid of it and spent about 12 hour dealing with it.

Lm90

Well here goes. I will try to post the video I made.

I will add a still of the finished jigs.

Picture057-1.jpg

Here is a still of two jigs the one on the left is airbrushed and the one on the right is powder painted and cured.

Picture062-1.jpg

They were both dropped on the concrete 3 times. To me the powder just doesn't hold up like the way I finish them with the airbrush. I fish a lot of rocks, and sand and I want my paint jobs to stay on or I would just use a plain lead head unfinished.

If you have Questions about what I use as far as airbrush style I use just ask.

Thank You all for looking,

Lm90

Airbrush cost is about $50-$75 for a decent airbrush kit and you can spend much more if you want to. Don't get the cheap one, but get the "Double Action" type. You also need a compressor, about $65.00 for the small one at the home store. The small compressor works great for this application, I have one.

The hobby store is a good place to get the paints, and they should be able to assist you with selecting a compatible paint system.

First off thanks Shack for bringing up the player. I didn't know how to do that it's first time making and posting a video.

Upnorth, I put that together Monday night. Sorry it's not the greatest. I'm not much of a teacher more of a doer, but I thought it would show some of the steps I go through.

Now onto what I use right now. I use a gravity feed internal mix double action gun. To me a double action is a must. As Hydro said don't go real cheap on the gun, but you can get started with a gun in the $50. to $75. range.

I soon will be getting a HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) gravity feed gun for doing all of my base coating and clearing. I am also going to be switching to a siphon feed Internal mix double action gun, so I can save time between color changes by having all of my colors in bottles. I can just clean out the gun and change bottles no pouring and pouring back after each color.

If your not going to use a air brush compressor you can use any compressor just make sure you have enough air volume in the tank or it will be running all the time. You should also use regulator with a water trap to control your air flow and keep moisture from coming through your hose.

The paints I use the most are from C&S coatings, and Badger. I think I have about $80 (just under $4. a OZ) in paint alone and always buying more. All of them are water base airbrush paints. The clear I chose to use is Seal-Coat from C&S because it's water based and worm proof and it has held up very well for me. No mixing two part epoxies for me, and no to low oder when applied. I have brushed it on, sprayed it on, and dipped it on. it all depends on how many peaces I am doing. For the most part I spray it on.

If there is something I missed or something more you would like to know just ask. If I don't know it someone else here might. We are all here to share and learn from each other.

Oh on a side note makes sure you have a good vent fan. I also wear a respirator when doing more than one part trial runs. I found out it's not cool to go to the store to get something quick with pink bougers. The looks you get are not so kind.

Thank You all for the responses,

LM90

Shack is this something you put together or some you dug up on youtube?

Sorry guys, I did not check back until now grin As you know by now, that was lm90's video that I just embedded for him.

Still a very cool video!

I know this post is a few days old buy I will answer a questions that was asked.

There shouldnt be any adhesion issues when painting over powdercoating. As long as you prep the surface correctly. By scuffing it up with a scuff pad or sanding it and then using the primer.

Any surface can be painted as long as the proper prep word is done.

Also is some of you are thinking about getting into airbrushing lures and what not and dont have the proper ventilation or area to do it in. You can use a paint called AutoAir Colors. It is a water based paint so its easy to clean up and spray. Once you spray that you then can put your clear over the top of it.

As lm90 said a double action airbrush is almost a must for complete control.

I have all the equipment necessary because I do custom automotive painting and airbrush murals. But the reason I asked is I want to make my glow white jigs two-tone. Would an automotive clear work or would the scent be too much?

Here is a picture of a bike i painted.

S4010232.jpg

First off sorry for not having time to get back to this sooner.

Walleye4, I use water base paints to put my eyes on. You can buy doting bottles to do eyes, or if you are doing large production you can get a doting machine that has a foot control on it. Here is a picture of my hi tech tools I use for my eyes.

Picture040.jpg

cvanderweyst,

I haven't had many bonding issues but I make sure that I wipe the jigs down after curing with alcohol to remove any oils from my finger's and only touch the hooks. I don't do any scuffing or anything, but I take my time and let the paint set before I am moving things around. I don't know about the auto clear. You could look into vinyl because you already are spraying solvent based paints in doing what you do. Then you can do the base, glow and top coats in vinyl. I just didn't want to mess with solvents and all of the storage issues that come with it.

Here is one from my latest batch. I like the orange dace color from my chubby darter so I did my own on jigs. Grey and orange over white glow.

Picture065.jpg

Lm90

Thank You,

Borch!

Now I wish I could just find time to fish. Between working swing shifts, and redoing the interior of my dad's 16' Lund rebel (carpet and wood decking) it seems like there is no time to fish. I hope to have the boat done Thursday and have Friday off.

I am hoping for a nice over cast day Friday with a little chop so I can toss some jigs in the shallows. If that doesn't happen then I will just try cranking them.

Everyone enjoy your time on the water I hope to be out there soon.

Lm90