Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slayer21

Decoy in the Spring???

31 posts in this topic

Im new to the whole turkey hunting but we have them on our deer hunting land so we applied the last few and finally got drawn..wondering if you use a decoy in the spring and my brother will be calling for me and he is pretty good with diaphram but wondering if a box would be good to learn.. just trying to get some info

box calls, slate calls and push-button calls are great for the beginning hunter.

Decoys will be good for the spring hunts. I usually gage my decoy use on what I find while scouting or based on how the birds react while hunting.

If they shy away from the decoys, I won't use them on my next set.

It would be a big plus if you had more than one call to rely on. Quite often they show a definite preferance to one over the other. IMO a box call and a slate call need to be in your vest everytime you hit the woods.

I always start out with decoys. One jake and one or two hens are pretty standard. Like ZEP said, they'll let you know weather or not they to use them.

The Jake and 2 hen combo worked last season for my son. The 24lb Tom came and wanted to kick that drakes but!!

The Jake and 2 hen combo worked last season for my son. The 24lb Tom came and wanted to kick that drakes but!!

I got mine last year as he was face to face with the jake decoy too. Just goes to show, put you jake pretty close and have him facing you to get those toms in close.

the Tom will want to be infront of the decoys to get their attention and present a challenge. Not only the fact of having decoys is important, but placement is key.

If the decoys are facing away from you the birds won't get close enough to present a good shot.

All good tips. I use the 2 hen/jake combo and have had success the last 3 years. Placement is key, like mentioned above, make sure they are facing "towards you". I don't like to have them pointed directly at me as I feel the toms will try and figure out what they are staring at.

I usually put the hens closest to me maybe facing each other as they would while feeding. The jake I put a little farther away, facing the hens and me.

I prefer to keep them at 20-25 yards unless they will be better seen from a distance from farther out. I'm not afraid to have my farthest one (jake) at 40. I then use it as a yardage marker. If a tom is commiting to the decoys, he'll come in front of the jake giving me a shot inside my effective range.

If I'm bowhunting, 10 yards is the norm for me.

Do you guys let your Decoy's swing back and forth in the wind? If so how to you get them to Face anyway but the way the wind is blowing? I have put small sticks in the dirt on both sides of the tail to keep them from spining around like a top on windy days.

That works! And yes, I do let them swing.

Quote:
Do you guys let your Decoy's swing back and forth in the wind? If so how to you get them to Face anyway but the way the wind is blowing? I have put small sticks in the dirt on both sides of the tail to keep them from spining around like a top on windy days.

My decoys are the fold up stash in your pocket type which I like for running and gunning and ease of carrying, but don't like because they're kind of flimsy. My dad and I shove bread bags, walmart bags, whatever into the head and tail (to fill them out), but also fill up the midsection with bags too (tightly bound). It adds a lot of depth to them and doesn't allow them to spin freely, they just kind of twitch.

Huum? I have a few of those also, may have to try the stuff, thing. Thanks.

Id recommened pretty boy and girl. once a tom glances at the strutter. He forgets everything hes doing and makes a B line right for pb. He hasnt let my down yet- 3 years= 3 toms

Wondering if you can hunt out of a tree stand..i know some states you can't but cant find anything in the book..

I think you can but I have always been told that it is not as effective as deer hunting because they have much better eye sight than a deer and will pick out your silhouette much easier up in a tree. Turkeys do look up for danger because of predation from Raptors. Another point is calling; a tom is going to know from a long ways off that you are not on the ground and may hang up.

Some archery hunters prefer to be elevated in a tree stand while hunting turkeys.

I wouldn't recommend it for shotgun hunting. The top of a turkey's head makes for a far smaller target than a side shot which would include the entire neck and head.

Some archery hunters prefer to be elevated in a tree stand while hunting turkeys.

This one would not even consider it for all the reasons longcaster just laid out. IMO if anyone wants to get serious about killing a turkey with a bow you just can't beat a pop-up blind.

I agree with the reasons longcaster pointed out as well. I don't archery hunt...........yet.

Adding to the questions. Decoys. Going during season E. Will it be to late to use 2 hens and a jake at that time? Also I will be in a party of 3. two of us will be together at one end of a 120 acre pasture and the other at the other end. Lay out for both ends are different. River and alpha and some trees the other tons of trees and pits with high grass. Safety will be OK as two of the folks won't walk far from the car smile Can the other spot use same decoy set up or would that be too much.

Swabby

Yes both places can use the same spread hopefully by the time he remembers he's seen this before it's bang lights out. I bow hunt for turkeys but like everyone else has said point the decoys towards you when a tom comes in and knows the decoy is looking at them he will hang up and not come in because he knows the decoy can see him if you point them at you he will come between you and the decoy to face it. I like to set my decoys at 10 t0 12 yards wich gives me a great bow shot. Find some double bull videos it is the best learning videos you can watch for turkey hunting and decoy set up.

I purchased a B mobile Tom at a auction this winter to go along with my other decoys that I have gather up over the years but, I was told not to use him unless I'm sure, another big guy is running around otherwise, I will scare off the young toms. Any thoughts to that?