• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow Death Hooks-Do they catch more walleyes or fisherman?

I bought some, but didn't use them because I didn't use bottom bouncers this summer. The spinning hook/worm is a different presentation then every other walleye lure offers, so for the simple fact it shows the fish something totally different I think its worth a try.

Also they are pretty cheap at about $2.60 for a package of 10 so pick some up and give them a try. I am planning on using them sometime this summmer, spring, and fall. I am interested in what other have to say about them as well.

I don't know if a leech would have the same effect. The idea is to use a Half a crawler, thread it all the way up the hook shank up to or even over the knot. The crawler corkscrews through the water at a slow speed. You need to use a good swivel.

This presentation may work better in lakes without a bunch of perch and sunfish, otherwise you'll be going crazy threading on crawlers every 10 seconds. This presentation fired up the nuetral small fish for me! I spent too much time with a lure out of the water than in.

If I recall, this method was developed in the river reservoirs in the Dakotas, and it may work better out there than here IMO.

I did coax some deep, monster gills on this method though.

I think the Slow Death Hooks are just a tweak on an already powerful way to catch walleyes. Originally I think Chuck's Worm, now simply "The Worm" perfected the spinning action, and they came pre-rigged with a plastic crawler. I caught a ton of 'eyes on these as a kid... Stange and In-Fish did a segment on tying your own spiral worm harnesses quite some time ago as well, this method required rigging your own gear and using live crawlers. Both of them worked well, so I don't know why the Slow Death's won't work as well. I pre-rig my own spiral setups, and I use them often on lakes where there are smallies and walleyes present. Deadly on both...

i had a few days that the walleyes never hit harder with slow death hooks.. kinda a pain threding worms tho.. never got a chance to try plastics on them but will for sure this year.. i believe they do work and work well..takes a little patience when you first try using them.. i use them on a standard lindy rig

I began using the slow death hooks last season, and did very well with the walleyes. I used SDH w/crawler most of the season from the St. Louis river to Basswood and did well. Stained water and clear. I used live crawlers and thought about trying the Gulp crawler to see what happens.