Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jameson

muskie photos + + +

29 posts in this topic

The fish first appeared with only its first couple of inches of nose showing. I grabbed my spear and told my buddy, "there's a nice one under us." Just as I got done saying that the muskie move forward a foot so as we could see a foot of it's body. Simultaneously my buddy and I say, "MUSKIE!" in kinda a hush voice. I set down the spear and grabbed the camera and was able to get a few pics.

photo #1) The muskie eyed-up the decoy sucker, but not hungry today.

3283277430_cc58becc70_o.jpg

2) Exit, stage left

3283277508_22853f4bc5_o.jpg

3) coming back for a second look.

3282456691_d6a323941c_o.jpg

4) Guessing she was about 35"

3283277752_bf6ceb2443_o.jpg

5)She went back from where she came, the depths.

3283277846_d790ef9745_o.jpg

6)This is a pike photo from a little while ago. I added it here to give a comparison of how light a muskie looks under water. NOT the greatest comparison, wish I woulda taken a pic of a pike today.

3250593947_a9d06b7c44.jpg

7)I took this photo a couple days ago, on different waters than today. I was waiting for Ms. Big and was passing a few fish up. I am not sure what's up with it's eye. About a 24 inch fish. Also a VERY light colored northern pike. Notice that this fish looks a light green and the muskie is more a gray or silver.

3282456123_4e8d687175_o.jpg

8)This healthy 21" bass decided to not let me get settled in. Ended up catching this bass, one slightly smaller, and played keep away from a third fish. All C & R.

3282456339_b1f8075648_o.jpg

None of these fish were speared. Did get two carp today.

nice

That is cool that you were saying about 35" on that one.

That is about what I was thinking too.

I assumed the sucker was about 10"

I spear in water that is a little less clear than that, but it is amazing how the sun reflects off the lighter fish (and objects) and they almost glow in the water (I think the reflection illuminates the particles in the less clear water). I don't think the camera shows all of that effect.

9)"normal" pike to the left-up. The trash washed into the hole during that last warm weather we had. I got as much out as I could before I left.

3282834241_0d989393e3_o.jpg

10)for comparison, the "light" tone funcky-eyed pike. It's swimming over the decoy, not biting it.

3283277140_267e31a253_o.jpg

11)a pic for beginners who may not understand. A normal "medium" sucker on hook to the left. An average sized "decoy" sucker on pin to the right.

3282456375_4653bde535.jpg

12)The Puppet Show. laughlaughgrin Show only lasted a minute wink

3283277358_f831055ccc_o.jpg

13) Two inch largemouth.

3282834289_9c0ba02810.jpg

The muskie pics and some others are in some remarkably clear water, 6 FOW.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I owe it all to the fish.

...I don't think the camera shows all of that effect.

Camera definitely does not show all of that effect. I am just a rookie with a $100 camera, and feel lucky just to be able to get pictures to turn out Ok. After noticing moisture build-up on the camera,( see Bass pic), I am not sure how long this picture taking stuff will last.

BnS, on second look that is a thread about size limits on pike. I will try and add them to the thread about closed-to-spearing lakes. Since those lakes are closed to protect brood stock muskie, I would think the photos would be better suited on that thread. If you wish to post a link to these pics on a post in the thread you linked to, go for it. I don't see the point.

Outstanding photos and thanks for sharing. It's so fun to get a look into nature's/God's aquarium.

BnS, on second look that is a thread about size limits on pike. I will try and add them to the thread about closed-to-spearing lakes. Since those lakes are closed to protect brood stock muskie, I would think the photos would be better suited on that thread. If you wish to post a link to these pics on a post in the thread you linked to, go for it. I don't see the point.

i would like to post it there becuase there talking about how you can tell the difference from a muskie to a pike!

See I still think it would be a great idea to put this on a card of some kind of signage. Guy like yourself or me its easy to tell, but what about the newbys to the sport? Great pics must of been very exciting!

honestly, you shouldnt be doing the sport if you dont know the difference between all the fish!

I agree but how many don't even keep up with current regulations. Alot of people don't know the difference if they have it in thier hands much less in the water. I Know the muskie on plant was poached that is not MY point. Just thought it may help.

See I still think it would be a great idea to put this on a card of some kind of signage. Guy like yourself or me its easy to tell, but what about the newbys to the sport? Great pics must of been very exciting!

And while your at it make one with a picture of a deer on it.

One with antlers..... one with out.......

Opps sorry must of forgot no new people join your sport or what? Little things go along way. Why so combative?

Opps sorry must of forgot no new people join your sport or what? Little things go along way. Why so combative?

It's not that... it's just that we have been though this once already. If we can get a contact at the DNR to post it on their webpage I think it would be a good idea.

I agree but how many don't even keep up with current regulations.

anglers are just as bad I warned 4 guys this year about the one pike over thirty rule this year and the same answer was recived from each one of them I didnt know that was the law. so it is just plain ignorance of some people that ruins things on both sides of the tracks.