• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

which do you prefer?

Tyler23

Jiffy model 30 older model that I believe is A 2hp. It's lightweight and just won't quit. Also an ICE45 which is IMO the best depthfinder around period and from what I hear from people I encounter on the ice must be selling like hotcakes. Very impressive depthfinder.I've heard about some issues with the 55 but it's using cutting edge technology that NOBODY else has so thats probably understandable.

You really can't go wrong with either. They all have their pros and cons. I haven't used a Humminbird for the simple reason that I trust my Vex products and am very happy with them so I have no reason to switch. I had a Jiffy and had nothing but good luck, but I have a Lazer Mag now. I liked the Jiffy, but it was heavy and would throw slush. My Lazer cuts like butter, but I don't like some of the design. The handles are way to brittle for my fishing style. This topic has been brought up numerous times and everytime someone will try to persuade you based on their experiences without testing the competitor. I would see if you can try both of the products you are interested in. Maybe you have a couple buddies that use different brands. Every company offers different models or levels for their product. Some people can afford and like the features of the top end product while others may be confused by all the features. See what would work best for your needs and go from there.

I originally purchased a Jiffy and took it back, as it was just to heavy for me to hole hop. I now have a SM Lazer Mag express and think its great. As mentioned just have to take care of the handle and blades.

I have an Ice 55 and really like it, no problems so far. Its my first flasher, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I didn't like the way the depth/numbers were printed on the other flashers, this one just seems easier to use for me. I normally fish for pannies, and I have been able to see a tear drop jig no problem without having the gain turned up very high. So it has worked well for what I have used it for, and the battery seems to last a long time.

If you really are interested in getting the most information you can on these specific topics, you're best off doing a search or paging through the forums here and reading what's already been posted. That's the best way to get the most information the fastest. Then, if you have specific questions after doing the research on what has already been posted, people can give specific answers that haven't already been covered.

Sure, you'll get some people who will answer every single "which auger" thread, but in general, most answers are going to be short and provide very little actual information other than the general "this brand is what I use, I like it better". Usually the best posts that have actual stories, experiences, comparisons, in depth reviews, etc. are not going to be re-typed by the poster every time someone asks the same question. People who put that amount of time or effort into providing good information on a topic can't possibly repeat it over and over again every time, which is why it's great that the threads are all archived for several years in the past and available for us to search.

Sorry if this came off rude, I'm really just trying to point out that there's GREAT information throughout these forums, like this recent review on the humminbird flasher:

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...her#Post1742307

People are often times willing to spend time and effort putting together posts so detailed as this, only to have the same quesion asked 6 hours later. It's not likely that the answer will be as complete or informative the second or third time.