• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

AUGER OUT OF CONTROL!!!

FasterThanYou23

Question

So Ive got my buddies auger,its an eskimo m43 1.8hp 10",a year or two old.I started it up on the lake this morning,and it idled really well at full choke.So I move the choke from full to run and the thing just starts going full throttle without me touching anything.Brought it home and checked all the throttle linkage,everything is normal,but its still doing it.And it ran just fine on saturday.Any ideas??

19 answers to this question

I am guessing that when it is running out of control, if you were to load it up, i.e. start drilling holes, it probably fall flat on its face? If so, you have a plugged carb and is running really lean. When you have it idling, the fuel/air mix is right, hence it runs fine, but once you open the choke, it leans out and runs out of control, but doesn't really have any power. I would take the carb off and go through it.

Its not running lean..If its on full choke it'll run because its like the throttle is open so it wont flood out.When I tun the choke off,it goes by itself,it just runs wide open without me touching the throttle.So its like its just holding itself wide open,but everything in the throttle linkage is normal.

fast, when this has happened did you try working the throttle lever back and forth and did it move, or did you notice any diff, at all? Try looking at it with the motor off and see if your cable is moving the butterfly on the top of the carb. It sounds like the butterfly is stuck open. Take the air cleaner off and look inside the carb and move the throttle back and forth and see if you butterfly is moving? If it is moving then you may have a sticking governor, which only kicks in when the motor starts up.

fast, try to find some way to hold it, or have someone hold it up and look at the butterfly in the carb when the motor is running, if the butterfly is stuck open and does not react to the throttle when running then you have a stuck Governor. The throttle only moves the butterfly so far then when the motor is running the governor kicks in and runs the butterfly. If the gov, is stuck open it will not let the butterfly close.

Check the butterfly. Mine gets stuck when it's really cold and I have to use my thunb to make it move. I think it is from the exhaust running onto the assembly. You will want to watch which way you lay the auger down if this is the case.