Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ortonville

mouses

11 posts in this topic

What is a mouses a larva of ? i know we used to us them all the time and now you just dont seem to see them in the bait shops any more why is that ? if my memory is right they where easy to keep alive and lasted a long time.is there any where these a still available?

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Mousies - Flies in the Diptera family Syrphidae are commonly known as hoverflies, flower flies, or Syrphid flies.

If they are the thing I am thinking of did they have a small tail but looked like a plain eurolarva in size and color ?

ya they are a little bigger than a spike. and they had a little tail which i am sure that how they got there name

I'm pretty sure Its the larva of a blowfly. I've found them in fountains that have not been running and are full of leaves and other stuff. I sure wish I had some right now! I've never fished with them, but I have been finding such light bites, which is fine, but...... maybe a mousie would spice things up?

Its been a long time since I have used them but I remember them as being a pretty tough skin so your hook needed to be really sharp but once you got them on your hook you could catch a lot of fish before you needed another. I suppose they are to difficult to raise for the amount of money they could get for them so that is why they are not around many of the bait shops anymore.

Vados bait has them or at least they did. I like them but not many do. All you see the pros use is them colored maggots so maybe these are the secret they dont tell ya. They dont always catch more then maggots but sometimes they do.