• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Say goodbye to your crappie minnows

CrappieAttitude

I too have made a leap to plastics, but the old school in me forces me to purchase a scoop of minnows just in case. I typically will dead stick one line with a minnow and bobber a foot and a half off the bottom or so. With the other i'll use the vex and jig anything from a small jigging spoon to a tiny jig with a spring bobber with a wide veriety of plastics. I too have noticed that this techique will catch more fish quicker than using live bait but there are times when those crappies just want the minnow. I have been actively jigging, varying the technique from large slow sweeping jigs to short quicker quivering motions only to see my bobber in the other hole continue to go down. I do beleive that the jigging plastics approach does bring in fish quicker than live bait does. I won't say that I only use plastics because I think it is neccessary to be versitile and prepared, and frankly live bait is just another tool that has it's time and place.

Great thread guys...lots of good info. I can honestly say I've never been much of a believer in plastics -- always been a minnow guy. After reading this post however, I'll be going to the baitshop before heading out on the ice tomorrow to pick up a few varieties to give em a try -- I've found a little spot that treated me well last weekend, but action was hot and cold, even tho fish were there the whole time...this looks to be a perfect opportunity to try this.

Anyone care to give me a starter list of must buys? I'm looking forward to trying something new.

One other question --if I'm understanding the technique, leave the bobber off and use the plastics under the Marcum with different 'presentation methods'?

Thanks much!

Great thread guys...lots of good info. I can honestly say I've never been much of a believer in plastics -- always been a minnow guy. After reading this post however, I'll be going to the baitshop before heading out on the ice tomorrow to pick up a few varieties to give em a try -- I've found a little spot that treated me well last weekend, but action was hot and cold, even tho fish were there the whole time...this looks to be a perfect opportunity to try this.

Anyone care to give me a starter list of must buys? I'm looking forward to trying something new.

One other question --if I'm understanding the technique, leave the bobber off and use the plastics under the Marcum with different 'presentation methods'?

Thanks much!

Eckie,

Here's a link to some folk's favorites. Plastics

I work them without a bobber. Although using a spring bobber can be the ticket at times.

Well,the secrets out so,I'll chime in here.Yup.Had a youngster teach me the magic of maggots so many years ago now that he's no longer a youngster.Haven't bought a crappie minnow since.They work well on eyes and perch too,under the right conditions.There may be bodies of water that minnows will work better on but,I've not seen it.I've heard the St Croix is one of them but,I've not fished it to prove otherwise.My experience with plastics has been,when they're hot,they're hot.When they're not there's maggots.I carry an assortment of plastics always when I'm panfishing but,I'd rather forget to bring my plastics than forget my spikes at home.

what I have learned with plastics, especially this last summer and spring was when you use new plastic you have to throw a minnow on. The minnow stays on til you catch a fish or the minnow just falls off. I keep using the jig with the same plastic till the it falls off or til it is just barely hanging on there catching fish. So then, I would through new plastic on it, with no bate, no bites, til I put a new minnow, with the new plastic. Then I instantly get a bite.

I see that we have a bunch of plastic users.They do work great.just a plain hair jig kills those slabs too.

08iceseason324-1.jpg

the thing about plastics or other hair,fur,feathur jigs is that you can control your size.

I believe those slabs are more profile orientated than anything.

Setting a minnow uder a bobber is one way to catch slabs.The other way is a bit more aggresive which is working the entire water column.

I believe you have more chances working all of the fish instead of the ones that come through at a certain depth.

Just my 2 cents.

CK

I was out this weekend, and didnt have much luck with any of the plastics in my box. From noodles to power minnows.

These fish wanted meat. We cleaned up on them using waxies and minnows, but for the first 30 minutes I couldnt get a hit on anything I was putting down there made of plastic. Plenty of lookers.

Thank god my buddy brought along some minnows and waxies, it would have been a frustrating day without them.

I was out this weekend, and didnt have much luck with any of the plastics in my box. From noodles to power minnows.

These fish wanted meat. We cleaned up on them using waxies and minnows, but for the first 30 minutes I couldnt get a hit on anything I was putting down there made of plastic. Plenty of lookers.

Thank god my buddy brought along some minnows and waxies, it would have been a frustrating day without them.

90% of my fish i catch are on waxies or euro larva. I will dead stick a minnow just because i can have two lines, but it's always the least productive. Plastics alone I've never had much luck with, i still like the sent a waxie or larvae brings to my presentation.

Plastics are great, but I agree many times the fish want some kind of scent of "meat" and I ALWAYS tip my mine with euros, without them I have a much harder time getting fish to bite. Then again there are many different plastics and if you swithed around enough there is one that will nail fish without bait, but if you dont have time to be trying all sorts of different presentations, tip them with euros and almost all with catch some fish.

Minnows, I rarely use but have found times when that really all they wanted, at least from the choices I gave them. Doesnt happen often, usually its the other way around and you could sit all night and not get bit on a minnow while I nail crappies with the euros on jigs.

I love to use minnows on a bobber rig in late March, on the ice, fishing into the night, or as the dark is turning into dawn, by lantern, fishing outside when it is starting to warm, no wind, no holes freezing up, with the sound of duck wings flying overhead. I love it when they pop it and then a second later the bobber starts slowly going down until you set that hook into another slab!