• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RV LICENSE?????

hunterfisher

I AM NOT SURE IF THIS TOPIC HAS ALREADY BEEN COVERED BUT WHAT ARE THE RULES AND REGS FOR A 7x14 WHEELHOUSE THAT DOES NOT GET LEFT UNATTENDED. I HEAD OUT ON TO THE ICE ON A FRIDAY AND PULL IT HOME ON SUN. I THOUGHT I HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT AN RV LICENSE NEEDED?????

ANY INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

THANKS.

Heres what I found/ was told by DMV/DNR when getting the license on my house.

If not left unattented overnight you do not need a DNR fishouse license.

In order to legally pull it down the road now you need a trailer license. If it has the ability to load a 4 wheeler into it or if it has a toilet it has to be licensed as a RV and get tabs every year. If no toilet or door for 4 wheeler you only need to get the standard lifetime trailer license. If the gross weight is 3001 lbs or more you will need to get trailer brakes on it to be legal.

from a state trooper: "fish houses are being classified as utility trailers. up under 3000 lbs dry, just a perm license. over 3000 lbs including a wheeler and anything else you put in there, you need brakes on it also"

I expect the troopers to beging to enforce this law, so make sure you're up to par!!

when i turned this very old camper into a fish house.the dmv said i didnt need nothin cause it was a fish house.i said okie dokie.but then i started to think hmmm its a fish house on wheels.she asked me if it had bunks i said no it has nothin but 3 benches and 6 holes in it.sh said dont worry about it then you dont need anything.i better check more into this before i remove it from lotw for the winter.

It may be a DMV site by DMV site thing but when I was at the DMV office getting my license I told them it had bunks and they asked me if it had a toilet. I said no and they said it only needs the lifetime license unless it has a toilet.

MNhunter You may have gone to the DMV before the law changed. I went to license mine 2 years ago and they said they would not license it because it was a fishhouse. Now you do need a liocense for the road if it has wheels. Some need a RV license and some need a lifetime trailer license. From what they told me in Maple grove (DMV) if it has double door to haul a atv or if it has a toilet it needs the RV license.

I didn"t want to take off work to license the house we had for a few years so had a buddy do it for me. He got the life time license but they charged him sales tax on the value of the house. And NO he did not say it was only worth 50 bucks.

Have others run into this??

I was worried about being charged sales tax cause mine is only 3 years old and it would have been about $400. They told me they don't charge sales tax on them unless new or a transfer of ownership. Since I was getting a first time registration on a non new trailer I didn't have to pay sales tax. I think it depends on which DMV you go to. I don't think they have it together very well.

If you go to five different licensing places your probably going to get five different answers as to what type of license you need and whether or not you need to pay sales tax. This whole thing is a mess because there is no regulation or state statute that spells out exactly what is required. In 2007 the DNR, DPS, and DVS realized that fish houses on wheels were not covered by the state statutes but meet the requirements of a trailer as spelled out by the statutes. Those three groups got together and decided that they should be licensed, but never really established any set regulations for the DMV to use to decide what gets licensed how. The only thing for sure is since it has been determined that they are trailers per the state statutes then they need to have the proper reflectors and lights, and if they are over 3000 pounds GVWR they need to have brakes.

It continues to amaze me as to how many people are confused about this topic. I agree with retired on Osakis. I work with a large numer of ice fisherman in New Prague Mn That own wheel houses and we all have different opinions on what regs are because we all have been told different things. It appears nothing is cut and dry or black and white. How poor of a job has the DNR / State of minnesota done communicating to use what is required. It should be simple as this. Trailers 3000 LBS and greater require electric brakes. That would apply to fish houses, bob cat trailers, and RV'S. Any trailers that have a living quarters (running water with a holding tank requires a RV License. Shelters left on the ice overnight require a DNR shelter license.

All utility trailers (non RV) are required to have a trailer license. Is that easy enough??????????????

I bought a 6 y/old house from my boss last year and he built a new one. Mine is an 8x20 on skids which he built a "custom" roller-bed trailer for. Last year I didn't need to license, but I do this year. His new one is a 6.5x14 crankdown wheelhouse. He went to one register to license and told them it was new and they charged him $72 for lifetime. I went to the local register and they are trying to tell me I will have to pay over $100 for lifetime since it hasn't been registered before and all this other b/s. I'm thinking the whole time, no, it hasn't been registered because it didn't have to be!What gives....somebody needs to quit counting ballots and figure out how to write laws that are clear and understood.