• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Early morning hardwater

buzbunni

So, who hit's the ice in the early a.m.?

Set-up would likely be a tad more difficult because you'd be doing it in the dark, and I would think you would want to have a bit of familiarity with the area you were fishing because it's no fun scouting in the dark/cold. I'm betting the traffic on the ice would be down significantly.

I'm thinking about trying it because it works better with my schedule, but I gotta admit, I ain't no earlybird. I figure a couple cups 'o Joe, and a few jumping jacks might help to get me going. I usually target walleye and northern pike, but I'd be curious to know if the crappies are biting in the morning as well.

I do most of my eye fishing on Devils Lake in the morning. I leave the house at 0400 and expect to have my holes drilled by 0600. The bite usually starts at 0645 and ends around 0830. I like to drill about 10-15 holes right away and then i set up 2 tip ups, 1 deadstick and jig with the 4th line (Nd allows 4 lines). I am usually home by 1200 about the time my wife is ready to go for the day and i enjoy the rest of the day with the family. Less conflict in life:)

In no way am I a morning person......EXCEPT for fishing. I like to be on the lake 45-60 minutes before sunrise. Crappie bite for me has been great in the morning this year. Grab a thermos and fill it with your favorite bean juice and away you go. I substitute my jumping jacks for some early tip-up action. wink

I've set up before sunrise before but I haven't really caught many fish before about 45 minutes to an hour after it get's light out. Don't know if it's because of the depth I fish at or what but I just sleep in...or better get out in the perm the night before and wake up when the rattle reels start ringing wink

i usually get most of my crappies in the morning. an hour or so before sunup till right after the sun breaks the treeline and starts getting bright. then i switch to spearing pike and tipup fishing till noon. that is my most productive fishing. of course if i am on new water, the approach is a bit different....

AM can be very productive and rewarding. I would know the spot you want to set up on, usually areas were fish move into during evening hours will also have fish moving through early so that can be a good place to start.

Always easy to wake up for fishing!

I dont mind getting up to the jingle of the rattle reel in the morning before the alarm goes off. But if the alarm goes off first than its time to start jiggin.

walleye-

I grew up near Kimball and was just out in the area this last weekend. Did real good with the crappies. What lakes you usually hit?

I like to go early if possible, especially in the metro.

I'm feeling the encouragement everybody.

I mostly fish in the metro, and so I'm gonna take your advice jwhjr. I think I'll do a couple evening scouting trips for prep, and then go from there.

I too love the rattle reels in the morning on an overnight, but I think I'll stick with jiggin' and tip-ups when I set up in the morning.

Starting.......now!