• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jiggin through ice

Cooter

I'm going to try more tube jigs this year, from smaller sizes up to the biggest I can find. Something different for them to look at. Don't forget big Buckshot rattles and other spoons, and experiment with both whole minnows and parts of minnows to see if you can find a preference.

jigging for pike can be a ton of fun. I've never caught any big guys, seen some, but have only landed a number of smaller pike.

For me I have done by far the best with northland bucktail airplane jigs. I don't put livebait on it cause its been hard for me to rig it and get it to swim side to side well, but sometimes I add something like a 4" or 5" power minnow.

I give it a good snap to let it swing out to the side, then I let it pause with some jiggles for a few seconds. I keep the jigging and pause time consistent usuually cause sometimes I think they time out when they are about to crush it. But then again you can get a lot of lookers with not much interest somedays. If you find a clear lake its a lot of fun to sight fish for them.

I've caught a few jigging a daredevil (no bait on it) and rattle'n raps through the ice they ussaly smash it on the fall. I'm heading to mille lacs tommarow to ice a few pike and I'm also gona try a 1/4 oz jig with 5 inch power minnows and assortmant of other plastics. Hopfully I can post some pics along with the results on sunday.

I may give it a try this year. I know a good small lake that has a ton of pike of all sizes (thanks to stocking and special regs). My biggest problem is I am an active fisherman (100% casting all open water season) so sitting and jigging or worse waiting for a flag aren't all that appealing to me...

to night i was out fishing for walleyes in 17 ft. and i had on a buckshot rattle spoon and i caught three perch in a row then put it down and i saw a nice line on the vex witch turned out to be a huge pike!i was out spearin this mornin landed a 9 lber and this pike i had on line was alot bigger maybe 12-14 lbs man was it a fight! but i got it up to the hole grabbed it and he shook the buckshot SHOT into my face and i let go of the fish and down it went! : (

was jiggin raps on mille lacs today and didnt have any action on pike but man did it ever draw in the perch. they would come in 10-20 at a crack then I would jig for them and cacth a few. most of the perch were small but there was some really nice in there. one time when I was jiggin the rattlein rap about 100-150 baby perch came crusin in. I think the sound it produce brings them in. might have to try it on the flats later this winter. did have one pike come in and hit my sucker minnow it was about 35 inches long and he ran with it then dropped it.

its always fun to do differnt things when pike fishin

In the past I have good luck with the Northland Whisteler Jigs tipped with a minnow.

CatWhistlerJig.gif

This year I am going to try them with a culy tail.

I used to take any suckers that died and casted dead minnows (as long as they held together) on those jigs. At times it was deadly.

I was at Cabelas in Prarie Du Chein (sp?) last weekend and noticed the chubby darters were a little on the pricey side. My brother in law owes me a fishing lure so I think I'll have him get me a chubby darter! lol