• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

West Metro Spearing Lakes?

browning_gold

That's where the first spearing get-together was last year. It seemed pretty good. Clear water and everyone saw fish. It's deep and has a very sharp drop off. I think it might even have trout in it.

Good luck.

Huey

Turns out you actually can spear on Waconia. The MN DNR never ceases to amaze me in their stupidity. I find it nice that a pike guide steers people to a muskie lake for spearing in the winter, classy move Gregg.

You can spear on waconia, the reason for it is that the Muskies are Tigers!

This is a great lake to spear, thats if its clear water.

Brown, check out the spearing forum, you will get alot of response in there about this topic as well

You can spear on waconia, the reason for it is that the Muskies are Tigers!

This is a great lake to spear, thats if its clear water.

Brown, check out the spearing forum, you will get alot of response in there about this topic as well

Wrong! Pure strain.

Lake Independence had a ban on spearing which was lifted a few years ago. The bottom line is that it is legal to spear Waconia and other musky lakes unless they are on the list in the regulation booklet designating them as off limits.

Spearfishers have the responsibility to clearly identify any fish that comes into the hole. From what I have seen Musky do not typically decoy as readily as pike do...They are also fairly easy to distinguish from a northern.

Many of the MN darhouse association members are avid open water musky fishermen. We distribute flyers and do a lot of education about identification tips to distinguish musky from northern.

Spearfishers have the responsibility to clearly identify any fish that comes into the hole. From what I have seen Musky do not typically decoy as readily as pike do...They are also fairly easy to distinguish from a northern.

If you can not tell the differance between a Muskie and a Northern then maybe you should not be spearing on lakes that hold Muskie.

A friend of mine was on Waconia a few years back and they saw a fish swim through. The first thing he said was that fish is to big to be a northern.

You have to use common sense and not just through at what ever swims through. It is kind of like hunting, you do not shoot unless you see that it has four legs.

Good Luck Fishing

Hey Cfollow,

Get over yourself. The guy was just asking for a recomendation on a spearing lake. I don't spear myself and never have but I don't pass judgement on those that do. I know a few guys that spear and they all say that waconia is a good lake for that. Why is it that all you musky guys are such elitists? If you can't tell the difference between a pike and a musky you shouldn't be spearing in the first place, end of story. And if a species of fish is not native to a body of water, stop introducing them!

Please don't fall for the bait that many people put out here to get us in-fighting amongst us. We are all fisherman and sportsmen no matter if we hunt, fish, spear, photograph, or enjoy the outdoors in any other legal method. Remember PETA wants nothing more than for us to fight amongst ourselves. This gives them much better ammunition than they could ever come up with on their own.

I really enjoy this forum since unlike most other forums out there is a level of respect shown here that you don't see in other forums. If you enjoy the drama go post somewhere else.. there are plenty of places on the world wide web that love that kind of thing.

Lets keep this forum clean and most of all lets keep it fun.

In the immortal words of Red Green, “Remember we are all in this together….. Keep your stick on the ice.”

Thanks for listening.