Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
berke99

Portable ice shelter rope length?

11 posts in this topic

I was just wondering if putting on a longer length rope on my portable ice house would make it easier to pull by hand this winter. Has any one tried this? Thanks for any input.

On my Otter Lodge I have the rope long enough to put around my waist to pull and it seems to help. On my 1 man Frabill it's shorter and it seems to be a little tougher to pull a long way that way.

Make it long enough so you can put it around your waste or over a shoulder and not have the sled banging into your feet when walking.

I have mine pretty long as well. Having it around your waist can help a lot. Picksbigwagon has a harness that he wears and attaches the rope to that.

It also helps to keep the bottom of the sled waxed so it slides better on the snow/ice. But otherwise as the others stated, make it long enough to go around your waste and also long enough so that the sled is not banging into your heels.

Be careful, if you make the rope to long the sled acts like a plow in the snow. You will want the rope short enough to get a little "lift" on the front of the sled so it doesn't turn into a plow.

I'm with Northlander,need to get around you,but not bang'n ya.I carry a long piece of muletape (flat nylon rope) in case I need to make it longer or anything else that might need tied. smile

I also have a deer drag type harness I use if I know Im in for a log haul. It just clips onto the rope I have on the sled until ice is thick enough to use the snowmobile.

All I use is the deer drag harness thing that you get at Gander of the big C for 10 bucks. I used enough rope so I can keep the harness on and still fish with it. I also have the runners on the bottom of my otter one man

I made mine long. I can adjust it for snow depth and ice conditions by simply pulling some rope into the tub and tying a knot in the rope.

I agree with the others; make it long enough so you can pull it with your waist. I have pulled my Otter Lodge II over a 1/4 mile, fully loaded, with very little effort. I do have the hyfax runers which seems to help. Also with a longer rope it's easier for 2 guys to pull w/o banging into each other. Ice cleats, of course, are also a requirenmet on the early ice.