Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BartmanMN

I'm blind

11 posts in this topic

God dang. I just got done rigging my new rod and reel with 2lb gamma and I think I am blind or at least cross eyed. I forgot what it was like working with 2lb test. Are there any tricks that people use to help with tying tiny jigs with ultra fine line.

Working with light line is always tough. Just be sure to wet your knots before you cinch em down and take your time. I have been messing around with the ice rods for the last week, have my 5 best laid out on the dining room table daily trying to figure out what lures to put on each one. The light line is tough though, especially as we all get older, it is harder to see the stuff. I know a few guys that go as light as 1/2 lb test. I couldn't imagine trying to tie that stuff up.

Every year that job gets more challenging, I actaully upped the poundage so I don't have to admit I can't see it anymore.

Lotsa light smile In the ice house I have had to open the door to enough light in to tie on a new jig. Not liking this getting old stuff wink

If the eyelet on the lure is big enough, try using a Polimar knot, by doubling up the thickness it is easier to see the line...now if it will poke through the eyelet..that's a different deal...yet the added stiffness often helps. Allow slack for a big loop and wet the line well and it is a good strong knot that is easy to handle in the cold.

A trick for this is have a pin handy and slightly ding/hook the end of the pin just enough to snag line..now poke it through the eyelet and get the loop of the Polimar knot to hang on it..pull it through...worst part is now done.

You can get LED's that are black light LED's, than it will make the line far more visible. I think..stress think..that the blood trail lights used for tracking game may also help...not sure...worth a check to see?

Trust me...my eyes are not working as well as they did once too. Try #5 Power Pro once....it is thin as frog hair and just as fun to see.

I try to find a contrasting background that is best to see it against and than have a headlamp, on even during the day, to help see the line.

Add chilly fingers...mmmm..boy...frustration abounds.

Still a tough deal so often I go with tiny fast snaps so I have to do it less often.

I have always hated tieing 2# line. I went to 3# and it may sound silly but I actually can tie it easier. Funny how that 1# can make that much difference. I also found that the green line is much easier to see and in our dark waters up here it dont make any difference in #'s of fish caught.

Get a pair of the strongest reading glasses you can find and get a pair of those things to strap em around your neck so you'll know where they are at all times. Works for me.

Get a pair of the strongest reading glasses you can find and get a pair of those things to strap em around your neck so you'll know where they are at all times. Works for me.

This is what I do. Also, as mentioned already, use fast snaps that you find in the stores by the fly fishing gear. with a fast snap your jigs get a lot better action anyway

I use the quick clips alot and they make it easier when I am working with 2-3lbs fireline.