• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buddy's First Deer...What A Way To Get into Deer Hunting

verb0026

2008DeerHunt008.jpg

After an unsuccessful start to the MN Gun opener on Saturday morning. I took my good friend and roommate out to a spot where I had some luck in the past. I got up in my stand and told my buddy (Nate) to walk to the other end of the clearing and keep his eyes open because if something were to come in, it would be fast. He was a bit confused as to where to go and couldn't believe that he was told to just sit in the open so he decided to use some common sense and get into the woods a bit and out of the chilly wind. While sitting on a stump, Nate became really bored and caught himself watching a mouse that was really tempting him to shoot at haha. Nate had never fired a rifle before so he was getting really trigger happy obviously. After deciding against that move, Nate just decided to tuck his head into his jacket and wait for any deer that would appear in range for him. About 2 minutes later, he picked up his head and there stands a real nice buck not more than 35 yards away from him not alarmed at all. He picked up his 7mm Mag real slowly and slowly pulled the trigger. The deer took off into the darkness of the woods and left Nate not sure what he had just killed.I was about 200 yards away from him and heard him shoot so i was looking down the trail waiting to see his excitement. He finally made his way down to my tree and told me that he had just shot a BUCK! I asked him how big it was and he said he wasn't sure but thought it was about a 6 pointer. We made our way back to his spot and got on his trail. After a very small almost non-existent blood trail. we came upon his buck. I'd say that the big 9 point we were looking at was a little bigger than I had expected to walk up to. I don't think we would have ever found this deer without the snow on the ground because I was literally following the deers tracks. The best part of this story is that Nate just finished his hunter safety course a month ago, and the fact that he had never even shot a rifle before made it even better. I felt really good about not only introducing him to the sport but also that he was so successful with this real nice buck. The excitement he showed after we walked up on him was priceless. Nate has the deer at the taxidermist already and we are waiting for the sholder mount. I'd say it's gonna take a while for him to top this guy.

Thats a nice deer. My fist deer was a nice 8 point with the bow about 10 years ago. Why hadn't your buddy shot the rifle at a target before going out hunting? Seems a little strange and unethical to have never fired the gun you are hunting with.