• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Building a storage shed by a MN lake?

lookingforluck

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew what the setback was to build a simple storage shed in between the house and the lake (in Chisago county)? After my research it seems like it is either 50 or 75 feet but not sure, and I tried to call DNR for the area and he was out of the office for the week.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

LFL

15 answers to this question

When we built my house on the lake in 2001 (Rice County). We had to have it set back 100' from the high water mark. We have since put a small 5*6 shed down near the dock with no issues from the CO's or DNR. Given, I didn't get "permission".

But as stated above, I'd make sure to get your local city/county codes.

Depends on the classification of the lake. General Development lakes are 75 feet, Recreational development lakes are 100 feet, and Environmental lakes are (I don't remember) but I believe they are the greatest distance for setback. As stated above it is best to check with the county or city planning and zoning office as they have to be at least as strict as the DNR guidelines but can be stricter.

I would build the shed on skids which set 0n cement pads, you probley don;t even need a building permit for a non- per. structure. Youcan find these sheds on pretty nere every lake in Southern Mn.

Do people ever use those sheds from Menards for this purpose? Do they come on runners or are they meant to be put on a slab. Now the next question, there is a slope to the lake, could you put it on blocks to make it level, or does it just have sit the way it is for it to be considered "non-permanent"?

Thanks, LFL

There isn't one simple answer. There are lots of variables depending on where you live and what local ordinances there are. So like Jerkbait said, you need to contact your local zoning administrator. The minimum structural setback set by the state for general development lakes is 50 or 75 feet depending on whether the property is sewered. 50 if it's sewered, 75 if it's not. The setback is measured from the Ordinary High Water Line (OHW). The other two big things that you will need to consider are impervious surface coverage for the lot and structural setbacks from side property lines. The general statewide standards for impervious surface coverages are not permitted to cover more than 25 percent of the total lot. But again, local ordinances may vary so you need to contact your local zoning administrator.

Do people ever use those sheds from Menards for this purpose? Do they come on runners or are they meant to be put on a slab. Now the next question, there is a slope to the lake, could you put it on blocks to make it level, or does it just have sit the way it is for it to be considered "non-permanent"?

Thanks, LFL

Before you get too far, save yourself the headaches and call the zoning administor and ask them. Usually all structures, including those on a slab will have to meet setbacks. The slab will also be included in the impervious surface coverage.

Also, technically, those Rubbermaid sheds, even if not on a new slab, are generally required to have a permit - by the fine print, that is. I called and asked our city, who directed me to the county... And 75 feet is the answer I got. I just put one up on an old dock section, but not near the lake - about 150 feet back. No issues with it at all, and the inspector was out for other stuff (new construction) and didn't say anything about the plastic sheds.

Just remember, if you don't get a permit on something, and then they find out about it, they can charge up to 10x the normal permit fee for you to get the new permit to bring it into accordance (or whatever the term is). Our old cabin, basically a "Shed" since it has no plumbing and no beds anymore, never had a permit pulled by the previous owners, so when we built new cabin, we needed to get a permit for the old cabin, after the fact. He could have charged us $1500 for it.... but he was good guy and since he knew it wasn't us who built it, he didn't want to punish us and just charged us the $150 permit fee.

So, like others said, call and ask to keep yourself out of trouble. I would ask if you can have a "temporary" boat box on a dock section, and if they say yes, then just put the plastic shed on a dock section on the shore - as long as it isn't permanent you might be able to do it - I almost was going to try this, but haven't had the need yet.

Also, I have heard that if you have a "fishhouse" you can store it anywhere... but I am not sure of that. Good luck.

Ok, so I called my local official and found out that you can put a water oriented shed no closer that 10 feet from the high water line. If it is not be going to be used for water things (life jackets, oars, ect) then it has be to 50 feet. Next question is, where is the best place to buy a kit to build a shed? or is there a person around the chisago/forest lake area that builds and delivers nice ones?

Thanks, LFL