• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whoopee!

My lady friend was told about 4 Whooping Cranes hanging out in a cornfield, just 20 miles from town. They had been there for 3 weeks. Someone thinks these are the same ones that abandoned their nesting site somewhere in Wisconsin. It was a rare treat. By the time we got there, it was starting to rain. It had been off and on semi brightness all day, until now. mad We did the best we could. We were getting wet, but the cranes didn't seem to mind. This guy was shot at 400mm, ISO 500, F8 and 1/30 sec., leaning against the car. Hopefully, they'll stick around for better weather.

2920041413_e8b6998c1b_o.jpg

What a great opportunity to stumble upon! Most of are aware that these cranes are extremely rare. Personally, I would have been excited simply having having had the opporutinty to see them let alone nail some solid photo's! Good_luck with the weather, I wish you success on your next visit over there!!

Good work XT, I have not seen one before. Compared to the bale it looks to be a pretty big bird. Hope you get better weather, but it is still raining up here by Fergus Falls yet this morning.

Thanks

Dan

Mike, you might hope for better weather next time, but this is an excellent composition. The overcast allowed for easier handling of the exposure (especially the whites), and it's a very effective environmental portrait, with the bale in particular, as already mentioned, giving scale to the bird.

Thanks, all.

I mentioned to my friend on the way there that it's much better to be overcast than sunny, for these white birds. However, thin clouds would have suited me just fine. wink Unfortunately, due to the darkness, she didn't get any keepers. I just hope she gets another opportunity for a decent shot.

But, it's raining like crazy right now. We got 2 inches overnight. Oh well, I have to run to the cities to see my new grandson, that was born at 5:03 this morning. grin