• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mauer Has 2nd Batting Title

bassNspear

Mauer became the first catcher to win a batting title "2006" in either league since Ernie Lombardi hit .330 for the 1942 Boston Braves.

Now Mauer joins Ernie Lombardi as the only Catcher's ever to win 2 batting titles. Erinie Lombardi earned a pair of batting titles in the National League with the Reds in 1938 and 1942.

Mauer is a great pure hitter, but he plays for the Twins not the all mighty red sox nation (I can't stand that name). It would have made a difference if they had made the playoffs but that didn't happen. If any body from the Red Sox, the Yankees or the Cubs does any thing half way decent it gets totaly blown out of proportion.

yea, i can't stand all the sport commentators in the world. all there are about is big market teams, like boston and hyping up Pedrioa. it's sickning to hear. or when played Chicago, all about them, no one goes us credit, and would just like to me a Sports person and national TV some day to hype the small market teams.

I was watching web gems one night and a guy made a nice catch and then ended up in the stands. One of the commentators said something like 'oh that was a good play'.

Then one of the other guys says something like, 'yes it was, and if it was Derek Jeter, ESPN would be showing it for the next three years'.

Yep and boy is that not fair. If he had been closer to pedroia and went 0 for 4 in an extra game he was forced to play and lost the title that would not be fair, and vice versa as well. 162 games for every team. Those stats for the Play In game should be just that and not count toward the regular season.

Windy

the extra game for stats doesn't make sense, period. True, not all teams play 162,, rainouts etc for teams out of it or too far ahead,,, but the season is 162 games scheduled to be played. No one anticpates a coin flip to decide where a game counting in the stats is to be played a week before, when all 162 games are decided home/away about 9-10 months in advance.

the playoff game ,,, should count in postseason stats,, not regualr season ,,, becasue it was not "regualr scheduled"

I'am sure if Morneau had 70HR(or whatever cheats hit) and hit one in 163rd game, a * would be put by the total.

Why not for all the other added on stats??

So where would you classify the game? It's plain as day to me it's a regular season game to determine who is the Division champion. One extra game big deal! I don't see where your coin flip or insinuating Morneau cheats fits into the argument either.

not saying Morneau is a cheater at all, saying Bonds is.

they flip a coin--- come on,,, they don't do it for the other 162 games. if their going to count the stats,, then count what has allready been played head-to-head and play the "play in" game at home of the team that won the most head-to-head games.

It simply makes more sense.

Those 3 abats may make or break a stat or a record. Very simply the game is played to determine who is in and who is out for the playoffs. Therefore it should be playoff stats. The season is based on 162 games minus the non factor games. No team plays 163 during the regular season.

G.C.

I don't know, I can see issues if that extra game causes incentives to be lost or possibly acheived for players with incentive packages. Only 2 out of how many would play 163 and not 162. Just doesn't seem right to me, than what do I know.

G.C.