• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bearing grease for boat trailer

Can't give you a namebrand of choice, but light blue colored marine grease. My buddy had his trailer taken in and they mixed greases...not a good idea!

Also, don't overpack your bearing buddies!

The oil man might chime in on this one,I use amsoil, it is water resistant, but for the life of me I can;t recall the trade name. It cost a quit a bit a tube, but it is worth it.

Real tough name: AMSOIL Synthetic Water Resistant Grease, product code GWR (this link will take you direct to the info page on it, also you can buy direct from here). This is a blue-green color.

Most (probably over 90%) of today's commercially available greases are either lithium base or lithium complex base which are all capable of being mixed without harm, though I recommend removing the most of the old before repacking. AMSOIL's greases are synthesized lithium complex base.

The API (American Petroleum Institute) defines a grease as "waterproof" if a maximum of 15% washes off in a specific test. Many other brands of greases just barely meet this requirement. AMSOIL greases are less than 5% washout.

AMSOIL's AMSOIL Synthetic Multipurpose Grease, prod code GLC is also excellent for boat trailer wheel bearings, about 2% or 3% higher washout than the water-resistent, but still excellent.

The best grease I've ever found and my favorite grease is the OMC/Evinrude grease in either red or blue. That stuff is great. I have since switched over to the blue Amsoil grease because I got tired of driving 18 miles one way and paying $2+ more per tube for the Evinrude grease. Amsoil dealer is about 5 miles away.