• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

fishing rods/reels/lures suggestions

Peachy

I'm not sure where to post this so will just post this in few places and see what answers I get. But I was referred to this forum so here we go! confused

I'm looking to buy rod/reel/lures for myself and my two young boys. They are age 7 and 4. Which brand do u suggest. I'm a ROOOOKIE! AND thats an understatement. grin I did get advice from a fellow fm'er last summer but thanks to my feeble brain, I couldnt remember which brand it was that he suggested! smirk

Will be fishing for bluegills, bass, etc (small fishes).....when my boys get older and have more experience, will get them hooked on musky fishing. grin

For baits I would get them set up with some slip bobbers first. If they are into casting you cannot beat a safety pin type bass spinner bait. Get some chartruese, white and my favorite, chartuese and blue. Spinnerbaits are easy to cast and retrieve. Bass and pike love them and they are fairly weedless.

For baits I would get them set up with some slip bobbers first. If they are into casting you cannot beat a safety pin type bass spinner bait. Get some chartruese, white and my favorite, chartuese and blue. Spinnerbaits are easy to cast and retrieve. Bass and pike love them and they are fairly weedless.

For a newbie, I say if you can't find it at K-Mart, or Walmart, you don't need it.

That will limit your choices, but also prevent you from spending to much until your skills and tastes grow.

This is pretty good advice. I used stuff from there for a lot of years. For beginners, they have everything you will need to hit the water and get some fish.

I'm not sure where you are from, but if you're in southern MN, stop by our store. We will take the time to show you the different combos that are available based upon the ages of your children and assist you in your decision.

If you're not from southern MN, I'll suggest you also look at local tackle stores. There are many good local tackle stores that can assist you.

Good luck in your choices. Nothing more relaxing than a day at or on the lake catching a few panfish.

Joe

I guess that Joe really has the best advice. The local guys are probably price competitive and you just aren't going to beat the ability to get up to the minute advice on what's working and where. My recent experience proves it - Gulp, minnows and crawlers weren't producing for the 6 year old and things were getting a bit dicey. A couple bucks worth of waxies and the advice from the local guy had the kid smiling in no time at all.

The good old spin cast reels like Zebco's are easy for youngsters and first timers to use. I personally now hate the feel and the drag on a zebco but they will still catch fish are reasonably priced. I also havent bought a rod that cost less then $70 lately. They make fishing much easier untill you get the hang of casting. Thats what I learned on.

Actually there's a new one just opened here in Omaha....so that one is a whole alot closer to me....say about 15 min drive. LOL I'd rather that than 4 to 5 hours drive!!! If not that!!! :-)