Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ralph Wiggum

Uh oh!

15 posts in this topic

Rumor has it one of you musky fanatics caught a flathead the other night... blush

Care to fess up and share your story???

Man that thing is ugly! And the fish doesn't look so good either!!

:P

Nice catch!

-Jeff

Uh oh is right!

What a fun time! Such a different type of fishing and I had a great guy/guide to show me the ropes. Thanks to Hanson for taking me out, thanks again Chris!

19lbs, 34.5 x 21 girth. I'm still smilin'.....

Fish muskie all morning all day then come night go cat fishing it all works out. A 40 pound cat will out pull a 40 pound muskie?

Fish muskie all morning all day then come night go cat fishing it all works out. A 40 pound cat will out pull a 40 pound muskie?

I would like to sign up to test the two out and give you an official result of that!!!!!

A 40 pound cat will out pull a 40 pound muskie?

I've never caught a 40lb musky, but I think you'd be in for 2 very different fights. I'd be willing to be the musky fight would be more exciting but shorter, but the cat would outpull the musky.

2 totally different fish, 2 totally different fights, 2 totally different techniques, but the fun factor is the same, eh?

Heres a link to a video of my biggest cat of the year, 47lbs.

I can't compare the fight this fish gave me to anything, even the biggest sturgeon I've landed on the Rainy River in the spring. Every flathead has a different temperament and this one did not want to see the boat.

Might give you an idea of what these things are capable of though.

Nice picture cjac.

Gots to lick those first flatheads and then every one over 50 pounds......Soakin a bully....

Chris - great video! I found myself trying to help you pull up on that rod. He wore you out!

Nice work Chris! I hope you didn't scare the Cat guys by figure 8-ing all night. From what I hear the whisker-fever and be as bad as the musky fever. Congrats!!

-erik

I see someone has a new avatar wink

Musky and Cat addiction is closely related. I guess I see two glaring differences.

My cat box can be filled for a couple Benjamins, that Musky box alone probably costs a couple Benjamins, and I don't even want to know what it cost to fill it. shocked

Also night after night of 1-2am turn in times getting up at 5:30am catches up to you. Would be nice to fish some early afternoon to early evenings.

But for the most part yeah, bigger fish out there......must catch....at any cost. We all know the feeling smile

There are similarities and differences for sure!

A few packs of Gammy hooks, some no-rolls, swivels and a guy has the basics for cattin'. In reality, the same could be said for muskies, a 1/2 dozen lures really could cover a guy, but that's obviously not how it goes!

I really think it's fun and I really recommend doing some different fishing. It'll keep it fun, especially in the early season when the bass are biting, and it'll make you a better angler. I've had a lot of fun bass fishing this season so far...

Like dtro said though, that excitement of the big fish, and the question of how big is it is quite the thrill!

Gator roll of death!

I didn't believe it until I saw it for my self. A flathead can do a gator roll when hooked.

Airborn!

On occasion I catch a very vigorous channel that would jump clearly about two feet into the air when first hooked. You'd think you catch pike or musky, but it's a kitty.