• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Raps

beaver11

when trolling raps do u guys prefer to tie your line direct to the lure or do some of u use barrel swivels with the snaps.i usually tie direct but my fishing partner has the barrel swivel snap with same line,rap, and ft. back and seems to catch more.thanks

I do it both ways at times. When speaking specificially about rapalas I usually us a ball bearing swivel...but I have noticed times when they prefer it without. Also there are other brands of cranks such as walley divers that dont run correctly at higher speeds with a swivel. U may also want to compare line age with ur buddy as this can make a huge difference.

You want to use as light of a snap as possible or a loop knot to get the best action from the lure.

Never use a snap with a swivel, that will kill the action of the lure for sure. Even snaps that are too large, or not rounded enough where the bait attaches, will hamper the action of the lure.

I use Norman Speed Clips --- I don't tie direct because I change baits frequently. Speed clips are small, lightweight, superstrong, perfectly round, and completely secure. I've seen way too many of the other snaps, even the best other snaps, opened up by large fish. That won't happen with a speed clip.

I've only used the smaller size and have caught pike up to 40 inches, muskies up to 48 inches, and walleyes up to 32 inches when trolling with them. I've never seen one break or bend or open up.

They are kind of tricky to use (and can really $uck if your fingers are wet and cold) but their performance is definately top shelf.

Berkley Cross Lok Snap; smallest size you can find. I also remove all of the split rings from my cranks. Same depths, same locations, same lures I get more hits on this setup than the swivel snaps with split rings that I used to run.