• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Keeping leeches alive...

Rip_Some_Lip

I have about a 1/2 lb. of leeches left over from a recent trip. I was wondering if there is something to feed them. I have them in a container in the fridge. I was thinking of throwing some red meat in there. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Dont feed them. After they eat it they give off some kind of chemical and if they are all giving off that chemical it will kill them just change the water every 3rd or 4th day with fresh cold water. and they should last awhile.

Yea, I have a leech container that I put them in and keep them in a fridge. I also have a 20 gallon tank I setup for bait and if I have a lot will throw them in there. I just keep the water down a little so they don't get out. I've never fed them and always had them used up before they die.

Dont feed them. After they eat it they give off some kind of chemical and if they are all giving off that chemical it will kill them just change the water every 3rd or 4th day with fresh cold water. and they should last awhile.

Keep them cool. If the water gets to a certain temperature, they will spawn and die.

I heard of someone who kept them in a mesh bag hung somehow in the tank of the toilet. Fresh water often and out of sight laugh
Thats a great idea. Funny images do come to mind though. Talk about stage fright

I heard of someone who kept them in a mesh bag hung somehow in the tank of the toilet. Fresh water often and out of sight laugh

LOL, my wife would LOVE that!

I live up here in northern MN and this spring{may} I bought a dozen leeches and used maybe 5 of them and then put the rest in the shed. Well, I forgot about them and found them in the shed 1.5-2 weeks later and I fully expected them to be a rotten mess. they were alive! and I ended up catching 2 nice bass on them that evening. anyways... either the cold temps we had up here kept them alive or Frontier sports just has some kick*** leeches.

Keep em as cool as possible and they should stay alive.

5 Gal pail in bait fridge with aquarium air stone. I change the water every couple of days(well water run thru the water softener to remove rust). They will shrink but I have kept them for a month as lively as the day I bought them.

eyewarrior