• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Lines

fishin58

I vote for 2 lines!

We are one of the few states that only allow fishing with 1 line. Look at all of those other states such as WI, IL ect. Can anyone actually say it has negatively impacted the fishing there? NO! THe truth is that this would do nothing but increase sales of fishing gear. If people are going to break the law they are not going to follow any rules we have. The answer to this is not punish the rest of us law abiding anglers. We need to pay to have more CO's out there looking for these law breakers! I would pay 20$ more to have another line. They could use some of the money gained from the 2nd line sale to pay for more of these CO's.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If fishing with 2 lines did infact hurt the rescourse ,,,then why doesnt Wisc, No/So Dak Mi and other states that currently allow 2 lines in open water apeal to their politicians to reduce it down to 1 line ,,,it doesnt seem to be an issue in Wi SD ND Mi.

Maybe MN has more cry babies then those states and they think THEIR fish will be hurt by using 2 lines ,,,the fish dont belong to any one till they are caught/possesed and any one who posses a valid licence non res and res alike has the privelage to keep their limit

Quote:
Well, that would be understandable then. I have never gone catfishing, so I don;t know the first thing about it, but I want to try it. I was thinking more along the lines of muskie, northern, walleye, ect..

Lee, Catfishing it would be nice. I doubt anyone could use two lines muskie fishing. I spose if you are trolling, but I don't know that I would. When I go out for northern one line is fine because you are doing a lot to try to get a fish with that one line. Most of the time for eyes, one is fine. I can tell you that it is nice to put a rod down with a minnow and one with a worm to see what is going to get the action. Once I find them, if it's fast and ferious I switch over to one line. If it's not, I keep switching up to figure out what is going to work.

If fishing with 2 lines did infact hurt the rescourse ,,,then why doesnt Wisc, No/So Dak Mi and other states that currently allow 2 lines in open water apeal to their politicians to reduce it down to 1 line ,,,it doesnt seem to be an issue in Wi SD ND Mi.

Maybe MN has more cry babies then those states and they think THEIR fish will be hurt by using 2 lines ,,,the fish dont belong to any one till they are caught/possesed and any one who posses a valid licence non res and res alike has the privelage to keep their limit

Very well said. I'm from ND and they get a ton of fishing and hunting there. I thought it was absurd when I came here and could only use one. I see no one complaining there that there are no fish. They also don't close their fishing season at all.

use circle hooks and keep the spool open in that situation so the resistance is minimal would be an option

actualy with circle hooks you want to leave the bail shut and use a rod that has a lighter tip and a slow action so that the fish can hook itself when it swims off, i missed so many fish when i first started using them cause i would set the hook. if the fish has slack line it can still swallow the hook.

the way circle hooks work is after, say, a big cat takes your cut bait he will turn and swim away, with tight line that will force that hook to start to come out of the fishes mouth because it can't hook up on a flat area like the inside of the mouth. once that circle hook reaches the fishes lips and the shank of the hook comes out of the mouth the shank will turn back towrds the tail then allowing the point of the hook to come into contact with the corner of the fishes mouth and the fish will hook itself. perfect hook set every time. just pick up the rod and reel

also i agree with 2 lines, we should even be allowed 3 in the winter (one tip up, one jig rod, one dead stick or 2 tip ups one jig stick or 3 tip ups and play cards grin) i fish i wi all the time and i maybe fish 2 lines 10% of the time but it is nice to be able to fish that way, side note never ever caught a limit this way and never mortaly hooked a fish this way.

Wisconsin lets you use THREE lines, 3!!!!!! There are no lakes in Wisconsin that are hurting because of this law. None.

In fact, outside of a couple of huge walleye factory lakes in MN, I would put near all the lakes of Wisc. up against near all the lakes in MN for numbers and quality of fish.

Will 2 lines hurt the fishery? NO!

I used three lines Wednesday here in WI. No snags or tangles and I only caught one fish. Then I let it go. smile I like being able to use multiple lines but it only works in certain situations and I would doubt MN would run out of fish if they allowed it.

SD has 2 lines in summer, ND has 2 lines in summer (4 on ice), WI has 3 lines in summer, IA has 2 lines in summer, and NY (upstate is much like MN in many ways) allows 5 tipups and 2 handlines when ice fishing.

MN is 1 line in summer, two in winter. Ontario is the same.

Whats wrong with MN anyway? Something is, no matter what side of the fence you are on, could be the people behind the rods, could be the DNR, could be the Treaty, who knows, but something is wrong.

I support 2 lines. I could be casting a jig/minnow at the weedline while my other rod is a bobber/minnow/leech rig. Trolling I could run one rod shallow at the weedline and the other rod, in a rod holder, would be run with a deeper bait on the outside of the weedline. I fish 3 lines each person on Lake Michigan and it seems to work well. I get to try a lot of different baits/colors/patterns. I still only get to keep one limit.

Quote:
I doubt anyone could use two lines muskie fishing. I spose if you are trolling, but I don't know that I would.

I just saw a Next Bite with Pete Maina trolling eight lines lines from one boat in Green Bay flats for muskie with custom alum rod holder racks on his tracker targa. Looked like a cross between a northland fishing rig and a vessel from the chesapeake bay.

Not only do people do it, but midwestern fisherpeople all around us are now developing and perfecting multi-line techniques for many species. Most of these techniques can't be developed or practiced in MN legally.