• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Major Problem - Alvin got into the basement

Tom7227

Ok, maybe this is the right forum, but I don't have time to be choosey -

I was working on the downspouts and all of a sudden a chipmunk shot out of the end. It ran into the garage and Jake the Brit was hot on the trail. In violation of all rules I had left both the garage door and the interior door open and the little sucker made it into the garage about 6 inches ahead of Jake. I was just down there and some strange things have fallen off shelves.

How do I get the bugger out of there without the Mrs. finding out? Note the strict keep the indoor door closed rule almost has to be in effect as she is now home. Light in the basement, dark in the garage? Dark in the basement, light in the garage? Loud Rolling Stones Music? Find a copy of Alvin and the Chipmunks and play it down there?

Come on folks, time is short. If the sucker makes it upstairs I'm going to have wider stripes on my back than the little miscreant himself!!!

I've used both the pellet gun and rat trap with peanut butter systems with equal success but the rat trap will leave you a lot more free time. You can wait much longer to see a chipmunk than a deer when you on the stand.

A cat would work, but they would play with the half dead culprit, then bring it to you half dead expecting to be rewarded for their prize. Then they would eat the head and puke it up in the house.

Cat, not a viable solution.

I went with the trap and so far I haven't scored. The pellet gun has some allure but there really aren't a lot of good shooting lanes in the basement. The cat is a non-starter as I wouldn't have one in my house.

There has been no sign left and so I am wondering whether the little bugger has escaped.

I guess there's one more trick. I used this on a friend a few years back to was complaining of mice in his cabin. When we went to close it up I told him to bring some talcum powder and sprinkle it around the perimeter of the rooms. That way when the little B----- got in he could tell their entry point.

Problem was that when he got up there in the spring there were little white mouse prints all over the entire cabin. The powder that was left was caked onto the floor. They didn't have a vacuum and the Mrs. went a bit nuts about getting rid of the mess. Good part was that they did find the entry points - two electric lines had big holes that hadn't been plugged.

A cat would work, but they would play with the half dead culprit, then bring it to you half dead expecting to be rewarded for their prize. Then they would eat the head and puke it up in the house.

Cat, not a viable solution.

Yea, I had mice this winter and woke up one morning to a talkative kitty (Found him, he was an outdoor cat). Wife and I get up and find a half eaten mouse in between us. sick