• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Just how young did you start your child fishing?

Alan

2 years old for each of my kids (which are 2 and 4 right now). We always bring the portable dvd player along though just in case dad can't catch fish. blushshockedgrin

When I do get a fish on, 90% of the time I let them reel it in whether it's a walleye, bass, pike, panfish, rough fish. About the only time I do it all is if I got a real bigg'un on. When they get to be about 5 or 6, then I'll let them try to reel in the big ones.

Here are my 2 kids with the first bullie of the year off grandpa and grandma's shoreline. cool

kids1ki3.jpg

I only 18 months old when my dad first took me. Of course I don't remember, but I've heard it many times. My dad also started to take my brothers, one older and one younger, about the same age. We would just sit in the boat and see what it was all about. Before you know it we were fishing with our snoppy and mickey mouse poles and catching sunnies. I remeber getting bored, but my dad brought some of our picture books for us to read and a blanket so we could take a nap. We could get out of the sun underneath the console of our boat, so that was nice too. When we got older and got into bass fishing like my dad we would fight over whose turn it is to go, because only two of us and my dad comfortably fit in the boat. But as we got older my other brothers drifted away from fishing some. They will come with occasionally, 2-3 times a year, and they really enjoy it. My dad I and usually will take them somewhere where they won't be bored though. I fish every weekend and fish bass tournements now. I am nowhere close to the professional fishinerman I thought that I could be, but I still love it. By the way I know the exact trip I got hooked on fishing and everything still.

I was a fetus when i started fishing. i have been more merciful to my kids and so i let them be born first. after the wife popped them out, the Dr cut the cord, and i took them fishing. that was many years ago

I took my son Ice fishing when he just turned two. He loved it right away. My daughter (now 6) has gone a few times each year since she was 3 but doesn't show much interest yet.

i think my twins were around two for thier first fishing trip. But !! i took them to a little park near here and let them fish with just the rods( like a cane pole)for shiners! lots of action, and when they got bored they had the shore to explore!( course they both had life jackets on!) later we would take the boat out for an evening once in a while til they showed they wanted more! del

I don't have my own kids but I started fishing as soon as I could hold a pole my parents have pictures of me on the training potty in the ice house jigging. So I was very young, and before that i was in the boat in my car seat, my dad took me everywhere. I'm so thankful for the lifestyle I was born into. We may not be rich or anything but the memories and experiences that I have had are irreplaceable and priceless. I caught a 20+ lb northern when I was 11 years old casting on Rainy Lake with my dad and grandpa... I started hollering it was going to pull me in and they said no you gotta do this by yourself. So I wrapped my legs around the pole my seat was mounted to and reeled that big bastard in. I'll never forget that fight. All I can say is how blessed I was to be born in northern Minnesota. I would not be the person I am today without my birthplace and my dad giving me to opportunities to utilize every bit of it.

I started my son ice fishing with me when he was 1 1/2. This winter he was now 2 1/2 and reeling up the fish on his own. This spring I have taken him out on open water and he can not get enough. Make it fun for them and they will want to keep doing it with you.

I tried getting my son interested for years.

He was ok as long as they were biting but lost interest quickly.

My wife said she loved to fish while we were dating and I thought I had found the one.

Only to discover what she meant was she liked fishing as long as they were biting.

What ev.

My son became more interested in sports.

I continued to encourage fishing especially during the years we would go to a resort in norhtern MN.

He had fun and I guess it stuck, a little.

Last year we went to the sports show and as we were looking at all the resorts I casually asked if he would be interested in a fishing trip to Canada.

I hadn't been up in almost 17 years, hmmmmmm as long as I've been married???

He said sure, maybe to make me happy.

We settled on a flyin trip and I got a couple of other buddies to go too.

We fished for 4 days and had the best time of my life with my son!!!!!!

He caught walleye's and northern and has not stopped asking when we are going back.

I have promised him a graduation trip next year.

Sometimes it takes awhile, but hang in there.

It takes them awhile to sort out things.

Just keep asking and encouraging.

Some day he might say yes.

And it will make your day.

I have 3 kids between the ages of 4 years old to 4 months old. My 4 year old has a dozen camping trips under his belt, his first came at 3 months old. At the age of two he would hook fish but I had to reel them in. He has since hooked and caught fish on his own. Before a child can enjoy or get hooked on fishing they have to enjoy being outside. The sooner you get them out the better. We almost always have a camp fire and cook food even if we are only out for the day. I am blessed as all of my kids enjoy being outside. I am sure that by getting them started early it has helped their interst grow.

I have two kids. My oldest boy(20 years) is hooked (no pun intended) on bass fishing. I got him fishing before the age 10. My daughter (age 18) says she doesn't like to fish, but when I took her out she catches fish all the time and has fun with it. She'll get bored and read a book or take a nap on the boat then fish some more. They both took an interest when they were pretty young and I went along with it. My son is my fishing partner and we do pretty well together.

I have 2 boys that I take fishing all the time. I started both on trips when they were 1 year old. They started fishing around 2 1/2 or 3 yoa. They are now 3 and 5 and the 5 year old is all about fishing year round. As others said, when its time for the ice shack or boat, don't make them fish, let them play with the minnows, fish in the live well ect. If they watch you long enough and you let them reel a few in soon they will want their own pole. Out of both boys I only lost one $10 scooby pole to the lake. blush Most of all have fun with them being around and enjoy the time talking, laughing or whatever they feel like. If they get cold or tired leave right away so they wan't to come back. If you ask my 5 year old now if he wants to go fishing the answer is always yes!!

Kudo's to all you guys and gals who do these things with your kids. I didn't have a Dad nor a Grandad around who did those things with me. Remember your kids will grow up and have fond memories of the things you did with them. Or end up like me missing all those memories and being a tad bit jealous.

I have a picture of myself when my dad took me ice fishing when I was 26 months old holding a huge blue gil and I have the biggest smile on my face. I dont ever remember him going on any fishing trips without me. The funny thing was that when I was younger he would let me reel in every fish he hooked into. So we would come home and people would ask if we caught anything, I would tell them I caught every single fish, dad didnt even catch one. Saying I am hooked now would be an understatement.