• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gloves

Dennis Steele

Question

What kind of gloves do you use when ice fishing?
It would be nice to have a very snug fit glove that is waterproof and breathable.I had a pair of neoprene gloves but my hands would sweat in them and then they would get wet and cold anyway.
Any one find any Gore Tex gloves that fit nice and tight?

12 answers to this question

I use rag wool finger mitts most of the time, but I have yet to find a good pair that is warm and yet still gives you the sensation of a bite on your rod. I'm probably like most people in that I fish bare-handed most of the time, I guess this is why my hands look so rough(cracked and dried out). I have used shooting gloves before and they seem to work fairly good.

Ya thats my problem too.I don't wear glove much of the time and my hands suffer from it.I have been trying to use gloves more lately.The older you get and the more times you crack your hands the harder it is to get them to heal.
I have found some nice tight construction gloves that work well.I can tie up and still feel a little.Probelm is they get wet in a hurry and then your doing more harm than good wearing them.I have 3 pairs along for a day of fishing along with some snowmobile gloves for traveling.I have also been using the Rock-n-Reels and you can see a bite better on those than you can feel it.Then you can wear gloves and not worry about sensitivity in you fingers.
Would be nice to see some tight Gore Tex gloves so I can minimize all the gear I bring.

I use a pair of fingerless wool gloves with a larger pair of choppers or Kinco gloves. It works great when I'm pulling my house out,punching holes and setting the house up. When I have just the fingerless on I have the sensitivity with my rod/line and they keep my hands warm enough in the house. I don't like the one's that have a full thumb and the flip over mitt. The thumb doesn't let me tie jigs on and the flip mitt lets go of the velcro usually and is too bulky.

[This message has been edited by cloudfisher (edited 01-06-2004).]

I got a pair of Swany Toaster mitts that work mighty fine. They are a mitton with a zipper on the side of the hand from the top of the pointer finger to the base of your thumb, with a soft black glove lining so you can unzip and use your digits.

Great access when you need that extra touch.

They are made for skiiers to still have a good grasp for their ski poles, yet still a mitton.

I use fingerless rag wool gloves and put polypro glove liners inside them. Not waterproof, but sensitive and my hands stay warm even if the fingers get a little wet. The best polypro glove liners I've found are at a workwear store that sells Carhartt, Dickie, etc. The liners were only $2-$3 per pair. Put one or two of the chemical handwarmers in your jacket pocket and you should be set for the day. Good luck.

I use the fingerless neoprene gloves when I am fishing and put on the big warm choppers any time I leave the comfort of the Fish trap. I usually keep my cooker/heater fired up plenty warm so wearing the fingerless is not a problem in the trap.
Dave

I use Thinsulate wool fingerless gloves that have the mitten flap that folds over the fingers if they get cold. Real easy access to your fingers if you need them, and the wool is nice and warm. I have also used the fingerless glove/chopper method too.