• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cure #1 question

I bought a two pound bag of cure #1 online for making bacon etc. I figured two pounds would be a lifetime supply for me. There is printing on the bag that says "best by 1/3/18." Five lousy months. Does this stuff actually go bad, or do they just want people to buy new stuff on a regular basis?

On 8/7/2017 at 8:27 AM, Crow Hunter said:

I should add the bag states it also contains "propylene glycol and sodium bicarbonate as processing aids"

Snips from: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/does-curing-salt-expire/

Artificial flavors and propylene glycol are perishable, yet they too don't have standard expiration dates. One curing salt manufacturer suggests its product is good for three years beyond the best by date printed on the bottle.

If your curing salt is only salt and sodium nitrate or sodium nitrite, it's good forever. Salt itself never goes bad.  Store curing salts in dry, moisture-lock, airtight containers and in a cool dry place, such as your pantry or a dry goods storage closet. Do not refrigerate or freeze curing salt.

I sent an inquiry to Butcher Packer about expiration dates on their pink salt which is the last batch I purchased.  I only buy the 4 ounce or 8 ounce sizes and usually split that with a friend so I replenish every couple of years anyway.  For much of my curing I use Tender Quick and usually split a 2# bag of that with another friend.  Storage is on my spice shelf in the basement in a Mason jar.

Edited by thirdeye