• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mourning Doves Gone Too?

Hawg

This is from the DNR page. They must have moved south a little, I went from quite a few to none.

Habitat and range

Mourning doves are common along country roads, and are also found in towns and open forests. In winter mourning doves migrate south; however, some can be seen year round in southern Minnesota.

11 hours ago, Hawg said:

This is from the DNR page. They must have moved south a little, I went from quite a few to none.

Habitat and range

Mourning doves are common along country roads, and are also found in towns and open forests. In winter mourning doves migrate south; however, some can be seen year round in southern Minnesota.

Southern Minnesota.   That be right here. 

I was at the cabin this weekend and SAW a few of them also. wasn't paying a whole lot of attention at home but thought i'd seen one here in stearns county last nite. gonna keep an eye out tonite.

I know the hummingbirds are gone!

1 hour ago, Jim Almquist said:

We had our first Junco arrive this weekend. Hope that is not a sign of the type of winter we are in for :cry:

Not a good sign. The hummingbirds have been conspicuously absent from the feeders here since about the 21st, right before everything got washed down the creek. One of their earlier exits from the ranch. :crazy:

32 minutes ago, smurfy said:

OK.............I give.................whats the secret or oman to seeing juncos this early?????????????????????????

Means get the snowmobiles ready boys it's going to be a good winter!  :D

1 hour ago, Jim Almquist said:

Most years they show up at the end of October into early November. Just hope this one was lost and not trying to escape early.

Funny I was just looking at wool coats Dotch  :whistle:

That's funny, I was just looking at airplane tickets.....  :D

On 9/26/2016 at 0:37 PM, Jim Almquist said:

We had our first Junco arrive this weekend. Hope that is not a sign of the type of winter we are in for :cry:

Uh oh, just saw a junco at the ranch under the feeders a couple hours ago. This is serious. First we lose the hummingbirds early, now the juncos are back. It'll be an ugly winter. Get yer wool coats everybody! Wool coats fer sale! :D

You could be right. There sure are a lot of people talking a rough winter.The woolly bear caterpillars I've seen afield seem to concur. ;)

https://www.weather.gov/arx/woollybear

Of course the tried and true method of knowing the length and severity of the winter depends upon when I decide to let my face grow long and how long I leave it on before shaving it off...:D