• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lets get this Bass forum going again!

bassfshin24

Hey bass guys! Been pretty disappointed in the Bass Forum here the past year or so. Seems like a lot of people jumped ship and I was one of them. I use to come to this forum daily to read topics and ask questions and we are lucky to see one post every week or two. Lets try to get this Bass forum back on track. I am suffer from some serious Spring Fever right now and nothing helps cure it more than talking to to other bass guys about anything and everything that has to do with bass fishing. I am going to start a couple of topics and hopefully this will start bringing people back. 

Tony your right, it's been quiet, I couldn't help but wonder if it's the new format, let's be honest most of us don't like change for the sake of change. 

Any new techniques or cool new tackle that any of you picked up this off season so far?

I've been accessorizing a new to me boat so I haven't bought as much tackle as I usually do in the off season, but I have done a little stocking up on the basics, and added one new Rod so far.  Loomis E6x 893c jig worm Rod, for Trigs.  I bought 3 of the E6x's last year and really liked them at their price point.  Several lucky craft pointers, deep shadow raps, replenished chigger craw inventory, some Outkast juice jigs, Molix spinnerbaits, Little Dipper and magic shad trailers, and some chatterbaits.

still looking for that ultimate grub and/or small swim bait spinning Rod in the 7'6" ML category, I want to throw 1/18-1/8 jigs a country mile but still have some power in the bottom half of the Rod, any and all suggestions are welcomed  

Edited by Todd S.

3 minutes ago, Todd S. said:

Tony your right, it's been quiet, I couldn't help but wonder if it's the new format, let's be honest most of us don't like change for the sake of change. 

The new format is god awful. I feel like alot of the old frequent posters moved on

Yeah, I sure don't like the two seperate sites and having duplicate topics in both of them. I am one that checked out other sites, but still always enjoyed the bass page here, when people post. Maybe we can get this going again!

I haven't bought much new this winter, but I did stock up on clankin cranks as some places had them on sale for $5 bucks. I have already started pitching in the house and playing with the cats a bit! Thats the start of the long wait til spring for me.

It has been quiet!

Been putzing with equipment . (cleaning reels and such) got  a couple of rods on backorder, ( nothing fancy; Diawa tri force) Setting things up to help get a 9 yr. old into bass fishing more, 30 something who loves to fish but only knows using a zebco 202 and worms. Got him started with a put together spinning outfit, but now setting him up with a 6-6 MH tri force, president 6935 loaded with braid.

Plan to get them both going with swim jigs, ( got more jigs and trailers) maybe stupid rigs, and some jigging. Should be interesting as the 30 something  didn't realize that you needed to set the hook on a buzz bait.

Ordered a boarding ladder for my Ranger RT 178. ( they just started offering them !)

Should be a fun spring!

Yeah I haven't done much this winter yet to get ready for spring. Buying lures here in there is about it. I do have a little wish list that I hope to get completely by the time spring comes around. Some things are probably just wishes while others will be done before the boat hits the water.

Wish List

Punching Rod

Deep Crank reel

Recessed trolling motor tray

Helix 10 SI unit --- this is a maybe. Might try and sell the 998 and upgrade

Hydrowave

Rain Gear --- Maybe looking at the HUK rain gear. Wish I could afford Simms but can't justify spending $800-$1000 on raingear

Tony I forgot I got a set of huk bear off BBC for $265, it was the blue and yellow pattern they first had, guy ordered it size extra large and it was too small for him, they look brand new, I feel like I stole the set. 

Watch BBC for a punchin Rod, there more MH and Heavy rods posted daily than you can ever imagine. 

30 minutes ago, bassfshin24 said:

Yeah I watch BBC almost every day for rods and reels.

They had the first style HUK for $300 for the set not too long ago. I've heard it is a good rain gear. It's just the shell but that's really all I need. 

That was the set, priced at $300 for a day or two and I happen to pull it up within minutes of a price drop to $265" sent pm instantly. Got make decisions quick on that page, items get 50-100 views a day and if it's priced right it sells within minutes usually. 

I got a reel from 13 Fishing this week, it's the "Concept C".  This is a new brand to me. haven't had it on the water yet but it feels nice. I really like the big cork grips.

I matched it with a 7' MH Cousins rod, also a brand I've never used. Seems like a decent stick but my first impression is that it's probably not worth the $170 price tag. But the rod and reel were both a gift from my employer so I'm not complaining!

Oh man who do you work for haha. I have a 13 Fishing Concept A and it's a decent reel. I have had a hard time getting it dialed in though. It was new to me last year and I had it on my jig rod. I have it in the 8.1:1 ratio. I like to skip jigs quite a bit but this reel didn't do the greatest job with it. My Revo SX is definitely better for skipping. I do think I need to take the reel apart and take some grease out of it though. 

I was one of those who wasn't too active last year...the move from the west side of Leech Lake to the west side of the Iron Range ate up a lot of time, and motor troubles ate up a lot more (big thanks to Eddy FM-Millelacs and his team for getting my motor sorted out, and a big thumbs-down to Grand Rapids Marine for their incompetence!).

I dedicated nearly all of my fishing time last summer to learning more about brown bass (except for a few great trips to Leech with Meat Run last fall). Time well spent. Fishing with some great smallie sticks and just spending a lot of time learning solo was very helpful in growing my understanding of what/when/how/why to throw for smallies. I even learned to love dropshotting (even for largies), which for an avowed shallow-water power fishing guy like me was a big leap :)

I aim to fish a LOT more this year, and I will try to remember to get on here more often to post photos/stories/learn from you guys.

Been focused on ice fishing. Chasing bluegills and catching bonus bass, run and gun style.    Still hard to think about open water bass, BUT, the Classic is less than a month away.    Fantasy fishing was alot of fun last year. Is there an HSO group this year?

On 2/10/2016 at 10:48 AM, bassfshin24 said:

Hey bass guys! Been pretty disappointed in the Bass Forum here the past year or so. Seems like a lot of people jumped ship and I was one of them. I use to come to this forum daily to read topics and ask questions and we are lucky to see one post every week or two. Lets try to get this Bass forum back on track. I am suffer from some serious Spring Fever right now and nothing helps cure it more than talking to to other bass guys about anything and everything that has to do with bass fishing. I am going to start a couple of topics and hopefully this will start bringing people back. 

Some people had issues logging in with the new forum. The more info posted the more people will participate. There are quite a few readers that might join in if something worthwhile comes up.

19 hours ago, bassfshin24 said:

Sounds good. I still have to somehow convince the wife on the upgrade...so far it's not looking good haha. Especially when we need to put a new deck on the house this year ha! 

My father-in-law builds decks.  I'll get him to build your deck, you give me the fish finder and everyone wins except my father-in-law, but that's his problem.

11 minutes ago, Juan Grande said:

My father-in-law builds decks.  I'll get him to build your deck, you give me the fish finder and everyone wins except my father-in-law, but that's his problem.

Haha Deal!!! But in all seriousness if your father-in-law builds decks and does a good job shoot me over is contact info. I haven't even started to look for people to build it yet. 

Some people swear by them and some people say they are a gimmick. I guess I will find out haha. The thing that gets me is a lot of the top pros run them in their boats. You would think that if they didn't work they would have went out of business already.