• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cast Iron Popover Bread

Mmmmm...haven't had a popover since Jesus was a boy. Ribs look excellent. Salivary glands are getting a real workout today. I wonder what the average rate of gain is on the guys who post here? :grin:

2 minutes ago, bobberineyes said:

Looks tasty LL , popovers are dynamite.  The wife and I were just talking about getting some cast iron pans for outside cooking, the sad part is at the cabin that's all we had back in the day and all of those pans got chucked for some reason. ..

New Lodge cast iron pans are inexpensive and of good quality.  Sand down the grainy surface if you are picky, season them and you are good to go. 

Oh Del, Del, Del....never sand down a cast iron pan. They are (at least Lodge are) pre-seasoned, sprayed with oil and run thru a very high heat oven, filling in and seasoning the "pores". Any sanding will remove this and cause a "bad" spot in the pan. That's why you never scrub hard or soap these; lightly "wash out" and wipe dry. Most folk just wipe them dry and don't wash them out. The older they get, the better the surface gets. 

Sand it smooth and reseason.  Seasoning is not rocket science, even your grandma could do it.   All those griswolds didn't come preseasoned, and neither did Lodge until comparatively recently.  

I can post instructions if anyone needs them, although there are several methods promulgated.

Of course this is only necessary if you don't like the factory finish on the inside of the pan. 

Edited by delcecchi

Sand it smooth and reseason why exactly?  Preseasoning at the factory is not a bad thing it is a good thing.  For the love of Pete if you are new to cast iron cookware please do not waste your time sanding down a beautiful new Lodge skillet.  They work great right off the shelf and if anything the "roughness" of the surface seems to enhance the non stick characteristics of properly maintained cast iron.

Then don't smooth the surface.  It is a matter of personal preference, as I said.  All those beautiful old skillets from back in the day are smooth as a baby's bottom.  I merely mentioned that one could get a new skillet and make it like an old skillet that someone had,   and that seasoning one isn't some mysterious difficult ritual.  

Lodge skillets are sold unground to save manufacturing cost, is my guess.  No other cookware is sold with a textured surface, except for that weird circulon stuff. 

I don't have any cast iron made in the last 30 or 40 years, so really can't comment as to whether the lodge preseasoning is good or not. 

I'm going to try Kris's recipe myself in my cast iron.  Looks like a great way to do it. Thanks for the recipe.  I got this recipe for Indian Fry Bread that I've got to try as well.  If that one turns out I'll post the recipe.  This one is fried in shortning.  good luck.

that's a good point.  my Lodge is pimpled and the the paper towel gets stuck on it and leaves stuff behind.  I'm thinking the orbital sander may be the ticket. :)

Edited by leechlake

31 minutes ago, leechlake said:

that's a good point.  my Lodge is pimpled and the the paper towel gets stuck on it and leaves stuff behind.  I'm thinking the orbital sander may be the ticket. :)

you got a union card to do that? been properly trained, OSHA approved??????????:P:P

Orbital sander or an angle grinder with one of those disks like this....

flap.jpg.ce027fdd525ade0a0609fd6447dde00

Don't got no union card, but safety glasses would be good, especially with angle grinder.   Might go with the fancy blue sandpaper with the random orbital. 

Edited by delcecchi

that's my new Democrat buzz word "investment".  

I invested in some groceries at the store this weekend.  

See?  Sounds great. :)

It's 330 and we're leaving for a 745 pm hockey game at 430 pm, they won't cancel the game.  I may bring my pimpled cast iron pan and bang the rink manager on the head a few times and ask him to give me a lift home.  On a "normal" day the rink is merely 45 minutes away in Apple Valley.  I wish you could swear on here cause I'd let it fly!!!

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

Orbital sander or an angle grinder with one of those disks like this....

flap.jpg.ce027fdd525ade0a0609fd6447dde00

Don't got no union card, but safety glasses would be good, especially with angle grinder.   Might go with the fancy blue sandpaper with the random orbital. 

I have used them but personally prefer the 7 inch sanding pad. those will work though my guess is one would want a fine grit.