• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Set up

eyedr

I have the opportunity of hunting a few places in mn, as well as a few places in wisconsin. I know the places I hunt well and they are all kind of tough to get to. THe people who let me hunt on their land in wisconsin really dont want permanent stands up. Im looking for a tree stand that I can carry out the morning I hunt and set up quickly and quietly. What works for you guys?

Summit climber i would go with. For smaller trees or trees where my climber is not a option. I use one of those ladder stand section. The section i use is the one that attaches to the seat section. You only get 6 feet of the ground but it is easy to carry in.

I use a millenium hang on with the portable climbing sticks, it's light and has a bracket. It's slick you can purchase multiple brackets and leave them in a few tree's that you've already prepped. Simply climb up the tree with your sticks, pull the stand up and slide it in the bracket and you're ready to rumble. Did I mention the seat is the most comfortable thing I've ever sat on!

Lone Wolf. There isn't anything better for lightweight and versatile. Any tree you can get your arms around and will hold your weight. I hunt exclusively from this stand. I added backpack straps and a waist belt from a MOLLE pack and I can carry this stand as long and as far as anyone would want to walk.

I use a Lone Wolf Alpha with Summit Bucksteps. Lone Wolf also makes their own steps that work very well.

Lone WOlf uses straps for hanging the stand with loops instead of a metal hook that will clang. If you prefer the prehung hook, then LW has that too.

I'd consider a self climber that you can leave hidden for the next trip if they would allow that, and you didn't need to have the stand for another hunt somewhere else. But the whole apparatus thing became too much work for me, hunt from the ground in natural blinds I make myself. But that is just my preference.

I think the others gave you good suggestions on tree stands.

I just don't think climbers are going to work for where I'm going. They may work for a spot I hunt once a year but I just can't justify $4-$500 for a stand once a year. I would love to get a set up that I can use on pretty much every hunt. One that I can get familiar and efficient with that I can pack in every time I go. I know it would be more convenient to have some permanent stands up but I just don't have the time or money to get 6 or 7 permanent stands. I just love the idea of being able to be mobile and set up where ever the wind decides I can. Right now a lone wolf alfa and the new buck steps seem like they would be a great fit for me.

A lot of the spots I hunt seem to be 40-50 acres or less. Is it reasonable to set up a stand every time without chasing the deer out of the area? Maybe this is a dumb question, i just have such little experience setting out hanging stands.

Whats your budget?

Can you get away with buying a few ladder stands and set them up preseason in likely spots and set them up so that you can choose one over the other depending on wind?

Saves you a lot of hassle and a lot of commotion every time you go out.

If you are pretty serious about bowhunting get yourself a lone wolf hangon with sticks, it will get you into most any tree and is high quality and quiet. Climbers are a nice option too but limit the trees you can climb. Go with lone wolf for stealth or Summit if you are looking for extra comfort.

A lot of the spots I hunt seem to be 40-50 acres or less. Is it reasonable to set up a stand every time without chasing the deer out of the area? Maybe this is a dumb question, i just have such little experience setting out hanging stands.

I packin/setup my stand every hunt, its a lot of extra work but you get use to it pretty fast. Just leave yourself some extra time and go slow when you setup, if you rush things you will make noise. Unless I'm coming back to that area the next day I don't worry about noise when I leave the area.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like good sound advice. I would love to get ladder stands just for the convenience factor. I just don't hunt one or two spots enough to do that and most of my spots are over an hour away from my house. Also, 3 of the spots I hunt I just hunt once a year. I would just love a nice light quiet set up so I could go where ever I wanted and not have to worry abut other people messing with my stuff.

I'm with Bear on this one- this sounds like the kind of scenerio that hang on stands were made for. If you can swing it, a Lone Wolf Alpha and a set of Lone Wolf Climbing sticks would be great. Expensive, but totally worth it IMO.

The only thing I don't agree with Bear on is the "a lot of work" part. It's really not that big of a deal. Once you get used to it you'll have your stand up quickly and quietly with no problem.

I'm with Bear on this one- this sounds like the kind of scenerio that hang on stands were made for. If you can swing it, a Lone Wolf Alpha and a set of Lone Wolf Climbing sticks would be great. Expensive, but totally worth it IMO.

The only thing I don't agree with Bear on is the "a lot of work" part. It's really not that big of a deal. Once you get used to it you'll have your stand up quickly and quietly with no problem.

Awesome, I was hoping this would be the general consensus. Does everyone pretty much have the alpha? I may sit in this stand for extended periods of time during the rut. I wont be in it all day for 4 or 5 days in a row but I am looking for something that is tolerable to sit in all day during the rut. I know with the stealth factor I will be sacrificing the feeling of sitting in my living room chair. Can anyone speak to this? How you you guys improvise to tolerate longer sits in smaller stands?

I have the old style alpha and I still sit in it for 3-5 hours routinely. The new style has a better padded seat that I may upgrade to.

It is very easy to setup because it is one of the lightest stands out there. Practice on a tree at home and you will be good in no time.

I have hunted like this as a bowhunter for the last 6 years and I have seen and shot several deer on the morning I setup. I like to move around alot and play the wind and this setup lets me do that.

I almost suggested you look at the LW Assault too. However, it's noticably smaller and wouldn't match your "comfort for a long sit" criterion as well as the alpha.

Like Powerstroke, the Alpha is plenty comfy for me. I can sit for four hours with no problem at all. Any difficulties I have staying in the stand after that have a lot more to do with my personality than they do with whatever stand I'm in (I just don't sit in one spot very well for really extended periods of time). I made a couple tweaks to mine- I attached a couple small zippered pockets to the underside of the stand to store random stuff that I might otherwise forget (e.g., folding saw, tiny screw in bow hanger, etc.), and I traded out the crappy shoulder straps for some padded military molle straps. I think LW now has their own upgraded straps for not much money. I also think they have an upgraded seat cushion that is available (different than the new and improved one that comes on the Alpha, which I think is what Powerstroke was talking about). Other than that I carry a couple screw in steps and try to keep everything hanging in my pack or from the steps so I can be hands free and unimpeded. Other than my HSS harness, I'm free as a bird and plenty comfy.

That's what works for me, but your mileage may certainly vary- I think there's a lot of room for personal opinion/choice with this one. Some guys will be happy as a lark sitting on a tree branch and nothing more (I bet I spent more than 100 hours doing this as a kid while chasing deer) while other guys won't be happy with even the cushiest ladder stand. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Depends how far you are going and the terrain you are crossing. A mile or so in a bigwoods swamp is like 2 on the high ground. Not to mention the inevitable whip outs in the dark and stand smacking you in the back of the head while you do anything to save your bow from injury. grin

I pack my stand in and out 90% of the time. I have a Lone Wolf Alpha and 4 sticks. I also have a Summit Viper climber. I find myself choosing the climber over the hang-on most of the time. Its more comfortable, faster for me to set-up and I feel a lot more secure in it. I have outfitted both the climber and the hang-on with Molle shoulder straps and waist belt. This makes carrying a breeze. There is definitely a time and a place for the hang-on and I like it for those situations, but I definitely like the climber more.

Bear, that's a good point. I'm up here in farm country and the only thing I was factoring in as far as work was the actual hanging of the stand. The getting to and from is a pain in the rear in some areas for sure.

Two things I'd like to add:

1. I always prefer a climber if I can make it work. I feel safer and more comfortable in them and I can get up a tree quickly and quietly. I've hunted a lot all over Wisconsin and in northern and central MN. The only place I've hunted that a climber doesn't work well is in the south metro area. Anywhere else I've had no problems finding trees to climb.

2. What are you doing posting at 2:30 in the morning, Scoot? That's way past any sane person's bedtime, especially for an old man like yourself grin

2. What are you doing posting at 2:30 in the morning, Scoot? That's way past any sane person's bedtime, especially for an old man like yourself grin

You just shush, ya wet behind the ears whipper snapper! laugh

Actually while I was not sleeping last night I: 1) did some more work on my basement, 2) starting organizing/packing for my elk hunt, 3) read every elk-related forum I could find on the internet, and 4) finally drank a couple barley pops in an effort to knock myself out (it finally worked close to 4:00 AM). You just wait, Jim- when you're old and decrepit like me you'll have a tougher time sleeping too. Careful, 'cuz it sneaks up on you!

I almost suggested you look at the LW Assault too. However, it's noticably smaller and wouldn't match your "comfort for a long sit" criterion as well as the alpha.

Like Powerstroke, the Alpha is plenty comfy for me. I can sit for four hours with no problem at all. Any difficulties I have staying in the stand after that have a lot more to do with my personality than they do with whatever stand I'm in (I just don't sit in one spot very well for really extended periods of time). I made a couple tweaks to mine- I attached a couple small zippered pockets to the underside of the stand to store random stuff that I might otherwise forget (e.g., folding saw, tiny screw in bow hanger, etc.), and I traded out the crappy shoulder straps for some padded military molle straps. I think LW now has their own upgraded straps for not much money. I also think they have an upgraded seat cushion that is available (different than the new and improved one that comes on the Alpha, which I think is what Powerstroke was talking about). Other than that I carry a couple screw in steps and try to keep everything hanging in my pack or from the steps so I can be hands free and unimpeded. Other than my HSS harness, I'm free as a bird and plenty comfy.

That's what works for me, but your mileage may certainly vary- I think there's a lot of room for personal opinion/choice with this one. Some guys will be happy as a lark sitting on a tree branch and nothing more (I bet I spent more than 100 hours doing this as a kid while chasing deer) while other guys won't be happy with even the cushiest ladder stand. I hope you find a solution that works for you!

Not much to disagree with here. Lone Wolf makes a great stand, and their climbing sticks are second to none when it comes to weight. The only thing I would throw into the mix is the the Millennium stands that were mentioned earlier. I've never heard a bad thing about their seats (most comfortable out there according to most that have them), and they have the quick hang "bracket" that can be put up into any tree and left there.

The new Millennium stand for this year is supposed to weigh in at less than 12 lbs (11.5 I think?) - over 2 lbs lighter than the Lone Wolf Alpha II, and has a 38x20 platform vs. the Lone Wolf at 30x19.5.

I was down to these two stands, and ordered the Millennium based on the weight, seat, and adapter brackets for easy hanging and multiple stands. It is supposed to show up today. I'm quite excited. I plan to grab some Lone Wolf climbing sticks to use together with the new stand - I'm hoping to eliminate many of my current hang-ons with this setup (between it and my Summit climber).

Well it looks like the lone wolf set up is what I will be going with.....next year. Im going to have to find something to get me by this year as I have just gotten into the sport and my wife would leave me if I spent $4-500 more on that set up this year. After all the stuff I have "had" to buy for archery it gets a bit overwhelming. Im pretty excited about it, I would love to be able to go out on some of the bigger public areas during the week while the rut is going on. Watching videos on youtube has me bursting at the seams. Im ready to be out in the woods.

Do you have any hang on stand right now? You could get by just fine this year with a Big Game hang on and some screw in steps. It'd be much more cost effective for you for a short term fix, then you'll also have a back up stand, which is really nice to have. Definitely not as nice as a Lone Wolf, but tons of deer have been shot out of them. Be sure to add an additional rachet strap to any stand that only has one strap- much safer and often helps quiet down the stand (which is particularly relevant for any welded stand).

Oh, and InTheNorthwoods' suggestion about the Millenium stands is also a good one to consider too. I've never used one, but I also hear good things about them too.