• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hail Damaged House

11-87

House had alot of hail damage, and will need "updating" roof, siding, windows, gutters.

Just curious of approx going rates on

Shingles,

Gutter work,

New siding installation.

I know shingles in our area run roughly $300/sq tearoff/install/cleaned up... ect..

but not sure on gutters/ft and siding.

I have a couple good builders in mind to to the work, but will be getting several bids. what's the rate in different areas??

Ours is a 1 story with a hip roof.

If insurance is paying, why are you wasting everyone's time with bids? You can only collect the amount billed less your deductible. As a contractor having dealt with storm damage the last four years, nothing is more annoying than doing unnecessary estimates for people thinking they can screw the system to pocket some extra money. If you're just looking for the lowest price, good for you. Try to remember that after a big storm that the local contractors with a good reputation are booked first. Also be very careful with out of town storm chasers looking for work. Most that will approach you are only salesmen and do not do any of the work. Also, most will close their company after completing a years worth of work to avoid having to do any call back work.

House had alot of hail damage, and will need "updating" roof, siding, windows, gutters.

Just curious of approx going rates on

Shingles,

Gutter work,

New siding installation.

I know shingles in our area run roughly $300/sq tearoff/install/cleaned up... ect..

but not sure on gutters/ft and siding.

I have a couple good builders in mind to to the work, but will be getting several bids. what's the rate in different areas??

Ours is a 1 story with a hip roof.

Where in Rochester was this damage? Just curious... I hope not southwest.

LOL,

With storm damage it's better to interview a few reputable contractors, check on references and then hire them and allow them to deal directly with your insurance company.

A number is just a number when bidding on insurance repair compared to the adjusters estimate.

$300 a square in Rochester even a for a walker seems low. An adjuster who has yet to lure me to Rochester tells me the Xactimate pricing in Rochester is close to the Twin Cities where I see $400 a square quite often on walkers.

The only out of pocket you should have is your deductible, any upgrades, and any rot or repairs not covered by your insurance carrier.

Wrote an Xactimate estimate on a hail loss on a single family back in 08. Got the insurance carrier to go from $46K to $174K a grand less then my bid only to have the insured pocket the proceeds. Now won't write an estimate unless it's after the contingency contract is signed and the adjuster has approved damaged items.

With kid # two and three on the way got no more time to waste on insurance jobs...

BTW, June 20, 2013 1in hail near 52 SW of Rochester.

Good Idea,I some times run in to hail damaged projects or leaks that have created damage to the interior,and It's best not to waste my time until everything's all squared up with the adjusters in writing.Insurance jobs are a pain sometimes but if done right everyone is happy in the end.Personally I try to avoid those types of jobs and market my company in a different direction.Just my own preference.