• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

looking for Lake Michigan charter recommendation

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a salmon fishing trip to Lake Michigan for 4-6 guys this summer. I'm looking for some recommendations for a charter service to fish with. If they have a lodging package too, that would be a plus, but putting us on fish would be the #1 priority. We would be looking to go out from Northern Wisconsin/Door county area.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Lots of multiboat operations along the Door/Keewaunee county shore. Some of the bigger outfits like Kinns and Dumper Dans offer lodging in the package deal. I am not sure on some of the smaller operations as far as lodging is concerned but they all tend to catch fish or they don't stay in business very long.

Tunrevir~

I've been on several in the Algoma Wi area and south all the way to Racine. I cant speak for Sturgeon Bay and into Door County.

If I had to pick one I think Kinn's Katch out of Algoma is the one I'd choose. Late June through mid-July I think offers the best catch rate. Probably not the best size but still very decent. June adds a few more Steelhead too if you like a little variety.

I went with Kinns a few times in 2008,9 and 10. They were pretty good but we had a Young kid for a Captain the first year that was more interested in talking on his cell phone but we still did OK on fish. He didn't do well on tips and I told him why when I left. Second and 3rd year we had another young Captain but he was very good and we did OK on fish. He did better on tips. Havnt went in a couple years as it seems like the fishing was getting slower but that doesn't mean there aren't good days. Just not as many good days. We always went mid July. As far as Captains some are definitely better than others so its a dump shoot on what you will get. Some would definitely work to try to get you on fish and some others were less interested. Not everyone makes a good boat Captain. Ive also heard good things about D Dans but never tried them.

We used Kinns twice and had the same phone problem the second time. We've used Reel Addiction Charter out of Rowleys Bay (Door county)twice and enjoyed those trips more than the Kinns trips. Reel Addiction does not have lodging packages but the marina is 200' from a resort/hotel (Wagon Trail resort). Now we use our own boats.

Reel Action Charters in Sturgeon Bay. I have a friend that is one of their Captains and I kept up with him all season. They have some of the biggest boats in the area and the fishing up there sounds pretty awesome. They have a discount rate with a hotel next door to the marina.