• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me decide: LX-5, LX-6, or LX-7?

Portlis

Hey guys, hoping you can help a flasher newbie out. I've never owned a flasher for ice fishing before, but I'm getting more and more into the sport and I decided that it's finally time.

The last thing I want to do is turn this into a Marcum vs Vexilar vs Humminbird debate (lord knows there's enough of that out there as it is), so I'll just say that I've decided to roll with a Marcum and leave it at that.

As the title says, I'm trying to decide between the 5, 6 and 7 versions and I have a couple questions for those of you more experienced users.

1. Opinions on the 5 vs the digital 6/7 versions? Is the digital worth the increased price? The difference in price between the 5 and 6 is around $90. That's a lot of money, but it's not a deal breaker if it's worth the money. I have a feeling I'd really like the vertical depth zoom areas as well as digital depth readout. I'd just like to hear what you guys think.

2. One of my concerns is size. I'm sort of a wuss and I generally don't like driving out on the lake no matter what. This is partly due to the fact that I work the graveyard shift and generally only go fishing on my days off when I'm awake, and that happens to be the middle of the night when it's dark out. I don't like driving where I can't really see properly. Part of me also just really likes being out in the elements and getting some exercise. Regardless, I'd really like to be able to fit the flasher in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket because I try to travel light because I'm usually hoofing it. I've had a tough time determining the physical size of the flashers to know whether this is feasible. I know the 7 has a larger screen, so I'm assuming the unit itself is larger as well. What about the 5 vs 6 size? Will any of these fit in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket, and if so, which?

3. Other than screen size (and thus resolution), what are the differences between the 6 and 7, and is the increased screen size a "must have" in your opinion, or just sort of a convenience?

4. Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks for your help, greatly appreciated!

I just moved from the lx-5 to the lx-9, and I have to say I'd never buy a regular flasher again after going digital. Silence is golden, the different graphing features are sweet, and the more detailed colors are great. It sounds like the lx-6 might be the ticket for you. I rigged my lx-9 with a lithium battery, and that dumped 4 lbs off the weight, so if you are concerned about portability there are ways to make them leaner.

dan

i just got the 5 and love it. I have not used the high end ones but I pop the 5 in my one man portable and dont even know its there. It has the zoom and I have used it on the river in the deep water. Very Nice unit. Had a fl8 years ago which was nice to

IMO the MarCum LX-6 is the perfect run & gun unit, but the LX-7 is not far off the mark at all, I end up using my LX-9 (same size and the LX-7) with the camera pouch removed all the time... probably 70% of the time.

Here is what it comes down to, YOU. Get the LX unit feels right for your style of fishing, BTW you are trying pick a favorite out of the top three units in the industry...a daunting task:) Good luck fishing.

I have the lx7 and absolutely LOVE it! I've had it since the day it came out. Went thru the growing pains with it and still love it. The 7 will not fit in a 5 gal bucket. I'm not sure if the 6 will but the screen on it is considerably smaller than the 7. Digital is the way to go now. Absolutely no noise and there's no more math to do when you want to know the depth. I'll be upgrading to the 9 for next season.

How does the 9 differ than the 7, is it just the camera?

Also, how is the battery life on the digital units?

You're basically right. All that is different is the firmware used on the 9 and the camera. Its basically a 7 just with the added camera. The case is also a little bit different with the camera being in a removable pouch that buckles onto the main portion of the case.

I love my LX6, but I am having an occasional frustration not being able to seen the screen properly either due to glare or the colors and target ID dont show up bright enough. That would be its biggest downside. If your inside a ice house its no problem. But outside will leave you squinting and hovering on knees over the hole watching it.

Like Brad said you are choosing from the best. I have the lx5 love it. I do wish I would have waited and got the 6 knowing the prices are far less now. Would be great to have in the boat. I will be running my 5 in the open water though. I love my lx5 and it is very quiet. The display is great for me cause I like to fish outside more often then sit in a shack. The bright display with cone is great for that. It is crisp awesome separation and moveable zoom. And with the dual beam ducer there really isn't anything else you need. oh and a soft pack that comes with not an extra. The prices on these right now are great. I would write them down drop in a hat and pick. You will be happy.

I dont want to try and change your mind, but if price is a concern and you want digital, you might also consider a showdown. It isnt color and doesnt have all the bells and whisles as the others, but they are cheaper than an lx5.

Don't get me wrong, price is ALWAYS a concern for any purchase, but I'm also not hurting either. I have no problem spending a little extra to get something I want. I do appreciate the suggestion, but I'm sticking with the brighter color options with the bells and whistles smile

I love my LX6, but I am having an occasional frustration not being able to seen the screen properly either due to glare or the colors and target ID dont show up bright enough. That would be its biggest downside. If your inside a ice house its no problem. But outside will leave you squinting and hovering on knees over the hole watching it.

How much of this would you say is due to screen size (ie, fixed by having the lx7) and how much of it would you say is based on it simply being digital rather than not like the older lx5?

Turn the backlight up and take off the sheild and little to no glare on my 7, easy enough to see when hopping and turn the light down when in the shack.... Background color choice also plays a factor outside...I find I like my 5 less and less the more I use the 7, not sure if I would consider a 6 now being spoiled by the screen size of the 7...

I just ordered the LX7, I will get it on tuesday. I own a FL-8, that I have had scince 1995. I then got a LX5 when they came out. That unit has been with me on every ice fishing trip I have een on. I still have the same battery and I love the unit.

The Hummingbirds came out and I bought the Bird 45 for my better Half. She loves it and I like it as well. Even hough I have used the Bird 45 a couple of times. I always go back to my LX5. Te moveable zoom and the amount of area you want to Zoom is versitile and practicle for all Fish species thru the ice.

I have wanted the LX7 every scince they came out. Just had a had time justifying the price. Beside the LX5 is still working awesome. The LX9 then came out along with the rumors for the LX6. I already have an underwater camI used the camera alot when I first got it. For me, I stress for me, I like using the Lx5 better then the camera. When I was using my otter lodge alot I just didn't like having to drillthe extra hole for the Camera. This leads me back to the LX6 or the LX7.

Although the LX6 is almost like the LX7, I like the fact that the LX7 has better screen Res. and is a bit bigger in Size.

I have a wheel house now, and i have been using my camera again. I still am not attracted to the LX9.I have a Camera, and Now I will have the LX7. i can do with that anything I can do with the LX9.

I also went with the LX7 with the fact I know myself, I want the LX7 and I would have felt I was settling if I went with the LX6.

Go with what suits you and what you like.

Well, thanks again for the responses guys.

After giving it more thought, I decided to just bite the bullet and go with the LX7, though a large part of me deciding on that particular model was finding an almost new one for under $550 which I considered a pretty decent deal.

Can't wait to use it smile Now to start thinking about which portable to go after.....