• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

alaska first timer

My fiance' and I are trying to figure out where to honeymoon in 2011. We have tossed the idea of coming to Alaska since we both are intrigued with the area. Looking at the tourism site there are so many vacation options and parks. What would you recommend for first timers? We've thought about a cruise to get there or just flying in. Is it better to rent a vehicle or do the package tours that have the transportation included? We both like to fish, but I think that may not be as high a priority than seeing the wonderful parks/wildlife. I know money determines how long we stay there, but is 7 days enough or is 10 better? Looking to get the most for the money. I've read many different opinions when best months to visit, don't want to be there when winter jackets are still needed.

Just reading and seeing pictures of some Fm'ers recent trips may have determined that may be our destination.

I don't think you could see Alaska in 10 years much less 7 to 10 days so my recommendation is to focus on a certain area. Since you don't need to focus on fishing and you are going to be on a honeymoon why not take the bride on an Alaskan Cruise from Seattle or Vancouver up the inside passage and terminate in Seaward. Then take the Alaska RR to Denali and fly back from Anchorage.

If you want a little more adventure and a less organized trip fly to Anchorage and rent an RV. Then you have access to a the Kenia Peninsula and can go north to the Denali area. There are ample camping areas all over the Kenia and up to Denali. You could do ocean charter fishing for halibut, ling cod, rock fish and salmon. There are ample charter operations available in Seward, Deep Creek and Homer. There are also a large number of guides operating on the many rivers in the area, especially the Kenia. The rivers hold salmon, rainbows and dolly varden. There are lots of trails, day cruises, shopping, attractions and some beautiful scenery to keep you occupied.

I go every year with a buddy of mine. We focus on fishing, but make time for some sightseeing. We usually stay 10 to 14 days depending on what our plans are. I would recommend a trip at least 10 days because Alaska is a great place to wander around.

For sure see Denali. The Alaska Railroad travels from Anchorage to Whittier, Spencer Glacier, Seward, Talkeetna, Denali and Fairbanks. Maybe do a day fishing trip out of Seward to get that out of your system, lol. Bring camera and a big memory stick or card and lottsa batteries or a chargrer. 10 days if time and money are ok. You'll wanna stay longer.

Just a word of caution if you rent a car or rv anywhere thats close to the road is like a garbage dump. People must just assume Alaska is so big that the garbage will just blend in I guess. I was shocked by this and the number of people fishing. They call it combat fishing up there for a reason. If you can drive there and you find fish you will be surrounded by fisherman. Most will be snagging though it's illegal. If you get off the road either by air, boat, or taking a good long walk its possible to get away from it all and really appreciate the beauty. Try going in August after some of the crowds have thinned out a bit. Also save your money and try a fly in or boat in lodge or perhaps a river float. If its your honeymoon I'm guessing a fly in lodge would be best though it will be expensive.

I get up there just about every year to see the parents, sometimes twice a year.

I was just there for 14 days this summer and will be up again for xmas, and I will heartily say that 14 days was still not enough to fit in all I wanted to do.

I don't know how much you intend to spend, but here are my top things I like to do in AK:

1) stream salmon fishing

2) offshore salmon or halibut/ling cod/rockfish fishing

3) hiking

4) seeing glaciers

5) Seeing Denali. Like everything this is hit or miss on weather, might be worth multiple days if you're serious about seeing wilderness

6) pike fishing in places where most haven't ever seen a lure.. extra fun if you want to try to get big pike on the fly

I haven't yet been able to get out and do serious stream trout/arctic grayling fly fishing in AK yet. That'd be the next on my list to do.

If this is likely to be your only visit to AK, or your only visit for a long time, then try to pick the handful of individual activities you feel are a MUST and plan for them.

If you really want to do the stream alaska salmon fishing thing, book at a lodge for best results, and book at the height of the salmon run.

bucketmouth-it really depends on what your going to do on your trip. we like to plan a bunch of stuff in different cities (white water rafting, fly ins, charters, guided salmon trips, etc). we do take our own gear up there as well and go hit the kenai, little susitna or deshka rivers when we have some free time inbetween our scheduled events. we usually stay within an hr of some good spots to fish for salmon with waders, so having a rental car (or van) is key, because we like to do things off on our own. if your trip is going to be one where you can do all your traveling via bus/train, i'd definitely go for it.

i will mention, it is very nice to have a rental car so you can run into town and get groceries, beer, tackle, go out to eat for dinner, or even go check out some scenery on your own schedule

Unless you REALLY don't mind moving to someones elses schedule...rent a car/RV. I personally would avoid the tours/packages like the plague:) And with the internet to do the research, it's pretty easy to set something up that will likely end up cheaper as well...

if you want to catch and keep fish the best time is end of july. you will be able to get your halibut and ling cod on a charter, the reds will be running strong and the silvers will be starting. If your getting a private charter with just you and your fiance and are looking for big halibut make sure you tell the guide or else you will probably end up on a chicken hole where you will catch many 30-70 pounders with a 120 lber possibly mixed in. Also make sure to bring some knee high boots to wear on the charter because the deck does get wet (made that mistake my first time)